Thursday, 17 May 2012

Some rainy day pictures

Rain stopped play today before it even started, I can't say I mind. Whilst it is wonderful to be making this much progress I've admitted before that keeping up this pace is brutal.  LP arrived shortly before 9.00 with a 'present' on the back of his van.  After finishing here yesterday he took his trailer to a friend and loaded up more horse manure; our compost bins are nearly empty of ready to use stuff and he had hoped to surprise me with a load of rotted muck.  Sadly, however, this isn't anywhere near as composted as he had hoped - these animals are bedded on shavings which don't break down as fast as the sawdust which Jackie uses and we're going to have to stack it for a while.  Never mind, it was still a lovely present and LP was very pleased with himself  ☺

After wandering around the garden for a few minutes we had to conclude that it was going to be wet all day and we'd have to try again tomorrow.  The trailer is parked up until the sun comes out.



I'm in a sad way when the prospect of a day "stuck" indoors catching up on laundry, housework and emails is thoroughly cheerful.  It is also a chance to catch up on photos I have taken but not used. Like the picture of my new trowel and hand fork, birthday present from Management.

I have known about copper tools for years but never felt ready to take the plunge and spend considerably more than usual.  To some, the anti-slug/snail properties of these tools will be New Age Whoo Hoo nonsense, nothing more than 21st century Magik.  Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.



I'm of the belief that there are many things in this world which conventional science cannot explain but that doesn't mean those things are not real and that they don't work.  Hey, science cannot really explain how new life develops - how fertilised ovum divide and divide and how cells then know to differentiate and become bone, skin, organs. But it happens, every single day, that's why the earth is buckling under a population explosion that just cannot be sustained.

I have not yet had the chance to see if plants planted with these beautiful tools are able to resist mollusc predation better than those planted with traditional tools.  What I do know is that they feel sublime in the hand, glide through the soil with an unbelievable ease and are such a joy to use that they're worth it even if the slugs are not deterred.  Toddle over to the Implementations website and have a read about the theories of  Viktor Schauberger.   Many years ago I took the plunge and bought Felco secateurs.  They were eye-wateringly expensive compared to the £5.99 rubbish I bought each year from B&Q.  They were also the last pair of secateurs I will ever need to buy and worth every penny.  I think these beautiful copper tools are in the same mould (they're guaranteed for life).

OK, unexpected rant over, back to the garden.  Everyone who has visited recently seems very impressed with the Willow Fedge, and at seven metres long it is not something you can miss.  The exciting thing now is the new buds appearing on many of the rods.



We continue to be blessed with a wonderful variety of visitors.  Long Tailed Tits are always a welcome sight but damn difficult to photograph because they just won't stay still for very long.



Two different reds (this one and a blonde-tail) come every day to raid the hazelnut feeders.



The Common-Spotted Orchids have returned again in the Cottage Garden, Side Garden and behind the house.  When time allows I want to dig them all up and plant them together in front of the Willow Fedge where they can grow without the need for identifying 'spikes' in the ground or risk of feet/mowers.



That will do, the washing machine is ready to be emptied again ☺

11 comments:

  1. Well if you really wanted to do something useful with your day, you'd be here ploughing through the mountain of ironing in the attic room thus unearthing the missing baggie containing cut fabric for the quiltalong...

    Seriously, it's good to have a pause to stand back every now and again, to appreciate what you're doing, and think about what you will be doing next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I would love to help you Hazel, I had my own pile of ironing to deal with . . . it's all done now, nah nah nee nah nah!!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes the only way to count long tailed toits on a feeder is to count tails! Good luck with the copper tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I find the best way to count LTT's is to look at a photo!

      Delete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your inside day, even if you did have to do laundry!! Now, when will the sewing machine get a visit again, huh? Mine is feeling rather lonesone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning FFG, I did look longingly at the sewing machine yesterday, but unfortunately I ran out of time.

      Delete
  4. I have SERIOUS copper hand tool envy!!!
    My felco's have been going strong for about 8 years now, with only the occasional sharpening to keep them in tiptip condition. I got 2's as they're small enough for my hands, not to mention waaay too small for Himself's hands! :-P

    I am desperate to get out and get some gardening done. If I'd have remembered how much time a Headship process takes up I'd have thought twice about being on the panel! All your work is looking dead good now, but can I borrow LP for a few days please?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutty, I will let you fondle my copper tools next week {giggle}!!

      Good luck with your interviews, you will be SO ready for a mini-holiday by the time they are over :}

      Delete
  5. I like your new tools Bilbo and seriously covet them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a magic long tailed tit moment the other day, a whole gang of them were 'sunbathing' close to the house. I didn't want to leave to fetch my camera in case I missed them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jill, glad you like the tools :} You did the right thing not rushing for the camera - I think these days it is too easy to constantly think about 'photographing the moment' rather than just being in it. That is why I don't take a camera fell walking any more.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}