Saturday, 19 May 2012

NGS Garden Visit: Chapelside, Mungrisdale

The first visit of the year and a return to one of my favourite gardens in Cumbria - Chapelside in Mungrisdale.   As always, inspiration and ideas abound. 







When I commented on this pretty Water Hawthorn, Robin Acland obliging pulled up a clump and sold it to me!  Added to the other plant sales, I came home with a lovely box of unexpected goodies.



Am I the only gardener who doesn't like tulips?  I'd go so far as to say I actively dislike them, and there are very few plants (other than leylandii) I can say that about.  They did get in the way of this big Angelica (some of which had been potted up and came home to Bag End, along with a couple of pots of Lovage).





Nice Rannunculus next to the pond, I was looking at R. seeds yesterday trying to decide which variety to grow and 24 hours later there's one of the plants I was considering.  I'll take that as A Sign ☺



I seemed to spend a long time looking at ground cover.





The unfortunately named Lysichiton, which sounds so much better than Skunk Cabbage.










Leaflet thoughtfully prepared by the owners:







8 comments:

  1. Sorry I like tulips (in fact we have that colour!)and I also like water hawthorn which we have flowering in our pond at the moment. It's amazing where ferns can grow isn't ir - imagine trying to plant some there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I am envious of anyone and everyone who has established plants flowering in their pond! Fingers crossed the bits I brought back will take OK.

      Delete
  2. Lovely garden, perhaps we should visit more around here for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SewAli, if you go to www.ngs.org.uk there is a very good search feature. You can search by county, distance/postcode and by week month, etc. Most gardens only charge about £3 and it's for excellent charities so get yourself out there and get inspired!

      Delete
  3. I hate Tulips. If any appear, they get dug up and thrown away - well recycled in the green bin at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you. I enjoy tulips - but in someone else's garden. Daffs, on the other hand...

    What lovely grounds. So lush and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, I love daffs too although I sometimes wish the foliage would die back a little quicker .....

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}