Sunday, 13 May 2012

A bonus afternoon

Everyone thought the weather last Spring was horrid but this year is shaping up to be even worse.  Aside from having over an inch of rain last week it is cold, very, very cold and plants just aren't growing.  I don't blame them, there are times when even I don't want to be outside at present.  The lousy conditions mean that we can go for days without LP being able to come and help, so when Sunday afternoon turned  bright, clear and only a little breezy it made sense to get a few hours in.

Thalictrum aquilegiifolium 'Thundercloud'
    
He moved barrow after barrow of soil for me.  Four of the raised beds are waiting for fruit bushes but needed topping up and the loam pile next to the greenhouse needs moving so we can build cold frames.  I've made a start on exterior shading - clothes pegs seem to be holding up against the wind remarkably well!

In an hour he moved more soil than I could shift in a day (and if I'd done this I wouldn't have been able to move afterwards).



After moving heavy paving slabs around for me he made more progress on the willow screening next to the driveway.



When we moved the fence between the Cottage Garden and Potager it became apparent that my lovely black obelisks just didn't work in the enlarged bed.  It didn't matter where I put them, eventually I had to accept that this is not the right place for them.  I still love them and we have plans for their use in the side garden so all is not lost.  However, moving the obelisks showed how empty this bed was.



I spent much of the afternoon trying to get plants out of pots into the ground.  I didn't get very far but it is satisfying to at least have set the pots out!



I'm loving the little area behind the small pond.  The log pile has been enlarged and a couple of old ridge tiles hidden underneath to make a dry, sheltered area for whatever wildlife wants to hide there.  On the left Physocarpus opifolius 'Lady in Red' is growing strongly and the beautiful Thalictrum aquilegiifolium 'Thundercloud' is just starting to flower.



Rain stopped play around 5.00ish, now there's a surprise.

10 comments:

  1. Your Thalictrum is gorgeous, I have two but can't possibly be the same one, as one is only about an inch above the ground and the other 6 inches. Please tell me yours is an early flowerer! I love them and would have many, many more. I am wondering if the rabbits have had a nibble but I am sure they flower much later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, Thalictrum is quite a varied species but I'm not aware of any which are as small as yours - perhaps they are sulking in this cold Spring (or, as you say, rabbits are a likely culprit)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow your garden really beautiful! You did a great job with the pond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello MK girl, thanks for visiting. Glad you liked the p[ond.

      Delete
  3. Is that the plant you pointed out behind the pond? It is beautiful - but it sounds like the ones Lakes Lover has would be more suited here as they would be less likely to get blown over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CB, none of the Meadow Rue (Thalictrum) listed in Garden Plants for Scotland are less than 1m or so tall so probably not suitable for your windswept location.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, I'm going to see if I can collect seed later in the year. Want some?

      Delete
  5. Possibly sulking as they do eventually grow to about 4ft high. I want one of your early flowering ones too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time you're up here I'll take you to the lovely nursery in Distington (it's only 15 minutes away) and we'll get you some.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}