Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Watery weekend

It was definitely my weekend for getting wet, splashing around in the pond on Sunday morning was obviously not enough  . . . 

Whilst chatting to a friend recently I said "I've always wanted to make a willow fedge and the Garden Designer (Management) has just come up with a place I can put one" to which her reply was "the willow in our beck needs the annual prune because it's blocking the view, do you want some rods".  No such thing as coincidence, the Universe obviously decided now is the right time for me to have a fedge :}

So I toddled down the road with a pair of loppers and secateurs as instructed, five minutes later I was back home for the chainsaw. This was not the 'light pruning' that I had been led to expect, it was "pruning  by chainsaw, it would appear the annual prune didn't happen in 2011 and some of the growth is two years old.  Unfortunately there are no photos of Hobbit standing in a fast flowing beck using the chainsaw, Jackie did try to take some but the technology chose that moment to be non-cooperative.  Rather more than would easily fit in Hattie but just the right amount for Bert's trailer.



I may have more willow than I need but that's not a bad problem to have and ideally this should have been done a couple of months ago whilst the willow was dormant.  We are where we are*; this might work and the pond gets a small windbreak, or I could not try and then it definitely won't work!

Management in Garden Designer mode laid out the trusty ropes on the ground, "all" Hobbit has to do is dig, plant, grow.






* More Management-speak;  if  "it is what it is" does not fit the situation then "we are where we are" often does :}

10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing if this works :-)

    Our early snow the other day turned to rain and didn't come back thank goodness. We noticed some left on the top of the Wolds when we were out yesterday but otherwise the weather has gone back to spring, albeit a little chilly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting. Hopefully you shouldn't need to do any digging with willow. Just shove it in the ground. It worked here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CB, I keep meaning to ask how yours is getting on. In fact, maybe I will just get off the computer and phone you ...

      Delete
  3. At first I thought you were going to do one of those braided fences with them Bilbo!! hahahaha! Then I realized you were going to plant! Sometimes it takes me a minute!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eve, you were right first time, never done it before but I'm going to try what you call a 'braided fence'.

      Delete
  4. I've seen examples of braided willow fence, also willow Wendy houses and other garden art using live willow. Often thought of doing one here, but don't really have a right location for something like that. Besides, willow isn't easily available here. Looking forward to more pics on this project. (Picturing Hobbit with chainsaw in beck... *shudder*. The mind boggles.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I was quite safe in the beck, honest :} It's not as if I was using an electric chainsaw ....

      Shame you can't get willow easily, are there any other plants that might grow in a similar way that could be used?

      Delete
  5. I have been pondering creating a living fence from willow. It would be very unique for thia area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. After seeing a couple of willow fedges at Harlow Carr and Ryton that I really liked, I bought a DVD by the chap who made them. It's by Steve Pickup http://www.thewillowbank.com/pickup.htm and explains everything in a way I found easy to follow. good luck!

      PS: Your husband would hate Bag End - my idea of a perfect lawn is one that is full of flowers and stuff he'd think of as weeds :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}