Sunday, 15 April 2012

This wasn't meant to take two days

Silly Hobbit - why would I go outside on Saturday morning and think that in a couple of hours I could fix guttering onto the mower shed and covered area?

Actually, if ALL I had needed to do was fix up some guttering, two hours would have covered it nicely.  Unfortunately I had forgotten that before all the guttering could be installed there was finishing work to do on the mower shed.  Long story short - a combination of being over-tired and making it up as I went along meant that on a couple of occasions I could quite cheerfully have sat down and cried.  As crying never did anything except leave me with a headache, bunged up nose and eyes that could body-double for Kermit I didn't bother.

Thankfully, Management came to the rescue and spent all day Sunday with me.  Still nursing rather sore back muscles, he gave advice and encouragement and Hobbit developed another new skill - that of walking around on the mower shed roof and cutting metal with an angle grinder.  What, you've never spent a sunny Sunday morning burning holes in the sleeve of your work-shirt because there are sparks flying everywhere?  Protective glasses didn't feel like enough so the chainsaw helmet got pressed into service as well.



Management is disappointed with photos because for the first few neither of us realised there was gunk all over the back of the phone.  He's even more disappointed because he didn't realise my new phone does video too.  I've told him he can film the fireworks when I go back and finish the metalwork on the covered area roof!



(intense concentration)







(you have NO idea how much work went into the little plate at the end of the ridge)



We didn't get everything finished, a couple more joints need to be added to the next Screwfix order and then we should be done* ... she says, hopefully!








* but perhaps it is time to take the protective film off the metal flashing :}



10 comments:

  1. Looks like you have done a really good, professional job on that roof.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure why my post has shown 01.46pm as it is 9.45 pm. Is there anything I should know about posting as I do it very rarely, but I have been watching your blog for many years, both the view from bag end and the (other) view from bag end and have always enjoyed following it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catherine, thanks for visiting and bothering to comment. The time-stamp thing is not your fault; even though I have the blog settings on "GMT", comments seem to be in USA Pacific time - I've noticed this on other blogs and I don't think there's anything we can do about it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the explanation as it does not stop me enjoying your blog.

      Delete
  3. Okay, I see what's happened here. There is rain in the forecast and while most would just enjoy the soak, Hobbit realizes that the rain will fall willy-nilly, with no control. *gasp* How dare it!

    So Hobbit, capeless and without her super-hero duds, leaps to the roof and single-handedly fashions a rain diversion system so all those wandering water drops will be directed into a designated water butt, a reservoir for future Hobbit projects. *whew* Carpe control, Hobbit. Carpe control. :-P (P.S. to Management - you are obviously an enabler...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, thank you! (snortling and chuckling loudly!). And yes, Management is a huge enabler and facilitator :}

      Delete
  4. Now why have I got the theme tune to 'Flashdance' in my head?!!!
    Impressive job though Bilbo. I haven't wielded an angle grinder, but would definitely prefer full kevlar body armour as well as the gloves, goggles and helmet should I feel the need to do so! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flashdance? Do me a favour - I was thinking more 'caped crusader' :} :} :}

      Delete
  5. Is there anything you wouldn't tackle? How about 25 eight year olds experiencing Africa Day? You've got till Friday to get down here or would you be more comfortble on an oil rig?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sarum, I'll take on the 8 year olds if you insist but believe me, your school won't like the law suits that follow :} I stand by my earlier suggestion - just send all 25 of the little darlings to the oil rig.

      As for travelling, I suggest you deliver Calvados! Let me know when you're coming.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}