Friday, 6 April 2012

Another week gone

Whoosh - another week gone.  Life seems to be proceeding in a 'don't blink or you'll miss it' fashion these days.  Management worked at home all week, courtesy of very sore back muscles which meant he had a fairly easy (albeit painful) week and I had a responsible adult around to remind me that it was time to stop and have coffee/lunch/supper!  The weather went from short sleeves and sunny to a vicious east wind with snow flurries and back again.  On Tuesday it was even too cold to work in the greenhouse. 

A quick trip to Bennetts produced the heather plants we wanted and they've all been planted next to the driveway.  I chose Calluna vulgaris tricolorifolia, Smith's Variety which flowers late in the year.  The plan is that this will complement our existing heather (which flowers very early) and extend the season for the bumblebees.  It's all looking remarkably neat and tidy and not at all like Bag End.







Weeded and mulched the laurel hedge and planted four Vinca minor Auerovariagata.  Although I will probably curse it at some point in the future, right now the periwinkle flowers are so pretty and it looks like these plants will be fairly happy scrambling over the soil.





There was a lovely sunrise one day, but in the time it took to get from the bedroom to the study and set up the tripod the best was over ...



There has also been much work on the willow fedge but that can have a post all of its own when it is finished.

6 comments:

  1. I like periwinkle and have one with a purple flower - it does tend to travel but it's not too bad to keep under control. The heathers will look lovely when they flower. Although they look good when just in leaf too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, hopefully I won't think the heather has all died when it turns bronze in winter .... which apparently it is meant to :}

      Delete
  2. I sure hope the science guys are working away at transporter technology. Some day I hope to *beam* over there and walk through your gardens. :-D

    I have masses of myrtle/periwinkle though it's considered an invasive species. It was here when I bought the house and I just love it. Right now it's in full bloom and the bees are happy happy. Yours, however, appear to be variegated. Me want! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, the vinca has some variegation on the leaf edges. I think it's a common plant that you should be able to get in America, and according to FFG (comment below) it's all over the place in her part of the world.

      Delete
  3. I love periwinkle flowers, but it plots to take over the earth here, so I don't have it any more, at least unless its in pots. Sorry Management has been afflicted with back problems. The garden is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FFG, everything doing well, including Management who is slowly getting back to normal.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}