Wednesday, 21 March 2012

What a difference a day makes

When LP hasn't been here for a while it is easy to forget just how exceptional his work-rate can be.  He arrived at 8.00, I briefed him on what we'd done over the weekend and set off for a couple of appointments in Cockermouth.  By the time I returned mid-morning he'd dug over half of the ground under the magnolia tree and emptied Bert's trailer of today's stable muck!



Unsurprisingly, the digging was finished and a nice edge in place before the end of the day. The ground has only been rough-dug.  We need to go over it again and add a good quantity of compost but it won't be long before I can plant the hornbeam which has been plunged in a raised bed over winter and is already starting to break bud.



I wasn't completely idle during this time.  There is still the issue of uneven ground around the pond to deal with and I decided the shelf at the back of the pond wasn't deep enough to safely take the large stones we are going to put there.  I know that Nutty Gnome successfully enlarged a pond that was already full of water so I tried the same trick (albeit on a much smaller scale).  Amazingly, it seems to have worked, and without too much aggravation.









6 comments:

  1. Is this going to be on the tourist "must see" route of the lakes of the Lake District? :o). I see you've started a rainfall summary to the right - ours would read 0", 0", 0" or very close to it I think! It's amazing to think you're less than 4 hours drive from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. {giggle}. I don't think it will qualify for a place on a 'tour of the lakes' list but possibly as a small tarn ....

      As for rainfall, it hardly seems possible that half the country will start a hosepipe ban next week and apparently there is a nationwide shortage of water butts.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I think Bag End would be a lovely stop on the tourist tour! I'd sure make it a point were I in the district. Things are really shaping up and there's beginning to be some form to all the work. Can't wait to see what the summer brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FFG, sadly the work-rate is likely to slow down shortly because LP won't be available so much from next month. Why do you think I'm working him so hard now?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the mention about the pond extension Bilbo! I may have done the grunt work, but Himself worked out all the technical stuff...as usual! :P

    Can't wait to see the pond etc - not long now!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi NG, sorry to take a while to reply, thanks for leaving a comment. There was very little "technical" about my additional excavations :}

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}