Wednesday, 28 March 2012

That's a first

I start every day outside with a list, either in my head or on paper, of what I'd like to get done.  As nearly every job takes twice as long as I expect or I get sidetracked along the way, getting to the bottom of a list isn't something I expect to happen.

The Gods of gardening were on our side today, or the planets  aligned in just the right way, because not only did LP and I get to the bottom of today's list without killing ourselves, but we made a start on tomorrows.   (I'm having a seriously dumb moment - shouldn't there be an apostrophe in there somewhere?)

This morning Miss Daisy and I moved many trailer loads of stone from the drive up to the top pond.  The theory* is to have all the materials in place before we start trying to hide the liner and make an unnatural hole in the ground look semi-natural.



LP carried on digging in the Coppice and by lunchtime it had been transformed.  The soil has only been roughly dug, I need to go over it again and add large quantities of mulch but the whole space feels completely different.  This part of the garden is intimate and enclosed compared to the rest and the feeling now, walking up the path, is of an area which envelopes in a very comforting way.  It's already very special and I hope the planting will enhance that.



He has also re-raked what will be the back lawn and brought all the small stones to the front so it will be easy to scrape them into a bucket.  Keeping the birds off newly sown grass seed is going to be fun (not).

After lunch we spent a couple of hours at Bert and Jackie's and came back with another trailer full of big stones which went straight into a barrow and up onto the garden.  At that point we'd completed all the tasks for the day - there was an amount of standing around in amazement going "hmm, shall we stop or carry on"?



Of course we carried on;  he made a start on the side fence and I used the sack barrow to finish moving stones off the drive.  Spent the rest of the evening in shock at having accomplished so much!







* theory - notice I didn't say 'plan' because we know that would be silly!


13 comments:

  1. More amazing progress! Wish I could accomplish so much, but I have at least cleaned the windows and washed the sofa loose covers while we've had good weather. We could really do with some rain though :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SewAli, you're going to laugh but it's me who is envious of YOU! The insides of our windows badly need cleaning, the whole house needs a good 'bottoming out' and I haven't been in the sewing room for weeks! BUT, I have to take the progress I can get when LP and the weather allow.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. HI WoG, don't be staggered, just laugh at me for being daft enough to keep going - everyone else does :}

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of stones! Never mind your windows, make the most of the good weather. We could do with some rain here too Sewali.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, it hasn't rained here for a couple of weeks. Thankfully, an inch or so under the surface the soil is still moist, rain forecast from Monday with snow on the highest ground :}

      Delete
  4. We certainly get variety of weather in this part of the world ,,,, the temperature gauge on my car registered 27 degrees on Wednesday afternoon! Was at Harlow Carr and it was too hot to concentrate on the plants in the garden centre! Not that I was greatly tempted to buy,,, too expensive ,,, but I always like to look at what they have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was at Harlow Carr bad girl, and you didn't tell me you were going!
      One day last week Keswick was the hottest place in England, allegedly ...

      Delete
  5. Isn't Miss Daisy clever moving all those rocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I could teach her how to pick the dratted things up and put them in the trolley Sue!

      Delete
  6. That looks like hard work, I bet your back aches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matron, never underestimate the restorative power of a long hot shower and large G&T (but not together and not necessarily in that order :} )

      Delete
  7. Lol I didn't know I was going until about half an hour before we set off! A friend took me out for a very nice birthday treat!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}