Sunday, 4 March 2012

Snowy Sunday



Laying in bed last night I could hear rain.  Early this morning I could still hear rain.   Grumble, grumble.  By the time I got up the rain had stopped and there was an unexpected sight in the distance - much white stuff on the fells.  By the time the clouds lifted at midday the lower slopes had returned to familiar green but higher up things looked very wintery.





Closer to home Management spent the morning building our new trolley.  He found this cute little tipper truck online and it will be perfect for me to tow around the garden when I am moving compost or bark chips (or plants, tools and anything else I don't want to carry).  I don't think the plastic tub would take kindly to LP overfilling it with quarry waste but in the event we damage it, Management already has plans to replace it with the barrow part of a wheelbarrow.  The long-suffering mesh trolley has had a hard life and now deserves a refurbishment and make-over.



I managed to get one task off the whiteboard and finished painting timber around the log store and shed.



The afternoon plan was to de-nail more roof lathe but we seemed to be popular with friends dropping in unexpectedly so not much was accomplished.  One of our visitors brought with him two huge bags of pond plants from his daughter (I suspect a couple of them might be thugs* and I need to work out what they are) and last week a neighbour lent me his thick neoprene chest waders (height of sartorial elegance) so that I can stand in the top pond and move stones without freezing.  Unfortunately the stones in question are still at the wrong end of the garden.





What we did achieve, however, was an excellent planning session with Keith who is going to build us another steel frame.  We want a large deck area next to the big pond and have decided to have a metal frame which will, hopefully, last longer than timber.

Much messing around in the evening with paper and coloured pens because I need a materials list for tomorrow.  We seem to have designed a structure larger than our kitchen (and those folk who have visited Bag End know we have a pretty large kitchen!)   I need to do some Sanity Checking in the morning and measure this out on the ground (again).






* the plants, silly . . . not our neighbour or his daughter

13 comments:

  1. You mean he has bought a trolley that you have to pull - you need a tow bar on your tractor!

    Snow - oh dear - we are going to Scotland this month will we be snowed in or even out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Sue, I wasn't clear. Both our trolleys attach to Miss Daisy, the tow bar was given as much attention during the purchasing decision as the grass cutting capability - I have no immediate plans to pull any of them around myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it wasn't like you to miss having a tow bar. Hope you have a straw hat to wear when driving Miss Daisy!

      Delete
    2. Sue, the neighbours already think I'm a bit strange .... but that sort of hat might be the last straw {groan ....}

      Delete
  3. Did you want snow? You should have said so. I have a surplus. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, but you can keep every single snowflake. I like my snow where I can see it, not where I have to drive over it.

      Delete
  4. Well, the snow looks stunning in your photographs and just far enough away......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks DW, most of it had gone yesterday (bright sunny one) but we had an awful storm last night, I thought the windows would be blown in around midnight. Cloud on fells now, suspect they are 'white' again underneath it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ....erm, why have you got our tipper trolley in your woodshed?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LAUGHING OUT LOUD. Look Mrs Gnome, one of me is bad enough (according to Management), but I think two of us could be more than the poor dear can cope with. Tell me, is it a good little trolley, I do hope it can stand up to the rigours of life at Bag End.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha! Yeah, but I suspect that when Management and the Reincarnated Inventor get together they'll be just as bad as us together!

    It's actually a cracking little trolley that has stood up well to an awful lot of abuse here - and you can get a surprising amount of gubbins in it too!:D If it can deal with all the stuff we've thrown at it (and in it!) here, it'll do fine at Bag End ....but I'm not quite sure what happens when we both want to use it at the same time?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...and I know you're not going to believe this, but it was a toss up between the tipper trolley and the mesh trolley when we bought it! :)

    I've done the WV removal thingy - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mrs Gnome, you do make me laugh! Glad to know the tipper trolley is going to pull its weight (groan!) as a member of the Bag End team. If it lasts even half as long as the mesh one we'll get our money's worth.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}