Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Madness

I spent most of today feeling like a hamster on an exercise wheel - constantly on the go rushing from one task to another but never actually getting to the end of the work.  After supper I had a long catch-up chatty conversation with an old friend (who regularly reads the blog but never comments publicly).  He expressed his continued amazement at the amount I get done, how many projects I am juggling at the same time and how hard I work.  Hmmm, but it all seems normal to me.  Which got me thinking, the renovations at Bag End have turned into a much, much bigger project than Management and I anticipated when we moved here.  I now look at tasks which, in a past life, I would have considered major work, here they're jobs we just shrug our shoulders at and get on with ... before moving onto the 'big stuff'.  Maybe it is some kind of Stockholm Syndrome, because this is my normal.  When the heavy lifting and landscaping is completed and all I have to do is 'garden', half an acre is probably going to feel very small.

But, enough wittering from me, back to a busy Wednesday.  Keith returned at 8.00am and was in 'chatty mode', trying to keep up with today's topics was more tiring than moving cow muck and every time I said "OK, must get back indoors, got a few things to finish" he started off on a new subject . . . A good 'listening to' was obviously what he needed though, because by late morning I was looking at this.



OK, seems a bit stark, huge and ugly like this but it is to scale with the rest of the driveway and with a bit of planting around either side will blend in fine.  And means we can get materials and equipment on and off the driveway.



At the same time our lovely carpenter showed up with doors for Miss Daisy's little home.  That required lots of decisions on my part and much travelling from one end of the garden to another.  It also required I move all the bloody roof lath AGAIN.  When I shifted it to the side of the shed the plan was to de-nail it immediately.  De-nailing was de-railed because I had a bug all last week, however it was in Colin's way so had to be shifted, piece by piece.  There was much muttered swearing on my part including swearing that I was NOT going to shift it a third time!



I also had to move the remains of a silver birch tree in a hurry (as you do) because Wayne and Keith had offered to do something for me above and beyond the call of duty.

Spot the difference?



Dog knows what some of these stones weighed but they have moved every single one so that next week I can get them into the top pond and start creating a proper pond rather than a hole in the ground with a water-filled plastic liner.



As no busy day at Bag End would be complete without interruptions, Bert delivered more pony poo (which had to be placed straight into buckets because there was nowhere on the drive for another pile!) and LP arrived for a chat and to arrange his working days next week.  He confessed to being a little staggered at how much I've done in the last fortnight without him.  You wait matey, you haven't seen how much I'm planning on YOU doing in three days next week if the weather holds!

Once everyone had gone home (mid-afternoon) it would have been good to collapse but Jackie and I had an appointment to meet friends in Lorton.  Their small pond contains almost more frogspawn than water so we brought home about a gallon of spawn and a healthy quantity of duckweed which has been added to the little pond in the cottage garden.

Even then I couldn't stop; spent much time online checking out materials prices, registering with the auction site being used by the Liquidator and agreeing with Management what I would bid for.

And then I got to collapse ....

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well Mrs Weaver, if being rather tired is 'fit' then I guess it must be :} Certainly helping me lose a bit of weight!

      Delete
  2. You seem to have had lots of men surrounding you - you'll be being talked about - glad you managed to get some frog spawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, this village is gossip central. I already know they talk about 'the mad woman who cut all the trees down' and I don't think having a garden full of men will make any difference :}

      Delete
  3. You're going to wear yourself down to a nub! I know I'm only talking to a wall here, my dear, but PACE YOURSELF. *grin*

    LOVE the stone ramp and new wooden doors. You are so lucky to have good people to call for these kinds of projects. And, yes, one acclimates to the level of projects one can take on. 30 years ago I would have been overwhelmed by refinishing a closet door. NOW look at me. Look at YOU! Still - REST now and then. Maybe you need a hammock. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I do listen to you all, honest :} Had a 'relatively' relaxing day, no physical work, just a bit of tension during the online Liquidation auction (but I got the lots we wanted at real knock-down prices so it was worth it).

      As for a hammock - not in this universe. I get really bad motion sickness. Moving seats and me just don't mix!

      Delete
  4. More amazing progress, well done! Glad you've found some good tradesmen, it makes such a difference to getting work done. Is the house still snuggly with the new roof? How are your sun pipes and solar power working out? We just got our electric bill for the last 6 months ... {gulp}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SewAli, the sun pipes make a huge difference and are brilliant and the LX bill - you'll hate me but it every month it is half what it used to be plus we get the quarterly FIT payment. I think come summer when the panels are producing more our monthly LX bill will be negligible. The roof is also great and it's a relief not to be worrying when the wind picks up :}

      Delete
    2. SewAli, the sun pipes make a huge difference and are brilliant and the LX bill - you'll hate me but it every month it is half what it used to be plus we get the quarterly FIT payment. I think come summer when the panels are producing more our monthly LX bill will be negligible. The roof is also great and it's a relief not to be worrying when the wind picks up :}

      Delete
  5. Uh huh. What Kris said. Take a break, girl!!!! Things are really shaping up, though. Hopefully this will be the last summer of big projects and you can revert to GARDENING and QUILTING and FELL WALKING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFG - just what I said to Kris :} :} You are right, hopefully by the end of this summer all the 'big jobs' will be done outside, that's why I'm throwing myself at the task now because the quicker we get it done, the sooner we can relax and enjoy what we've created.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}