Friday, 2 March 2012

Germination

Sue at Green Lane Allotments asked about the primrose seeds which she sent back in June 2011.  I sowed them immediately upon arrival, covered with vermiculite, popped them safely in the nursery and waited . . . and waited . . . and waited.  The pots have spent months alongside the snowdrops and winter aconite which didn't get planted and in truth, I wrote them off.  Had a look a couple of days ago and I think we've got germination  - much excitement in The Shire!  Thank you Sue, am looking forward to these being big enough to handle and in a year or two moving them to the Coppice.



The winter aconite seeds I sowed last April also seem to be coming up, and peeping under the plants which over-wintered in pots there are more seedlings.



Moral of this story - don't give up too quickly (although checking a propagation book on length of time to germination might have avoided the belief that I'd failed).

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realise you were so patient!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I've missed some of your posts. I',m g;ad your seeds took - strange that they took so long to germinate but better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the Germination Guide which came with my RHS seeds, plus the latest book on propagation which just happened to find its way onto my bookshelves (grin), there are an awful lot of seeds which seem to need remarkable patience!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}