Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Pond progress pictures, part 1


When I finally made it outside just after mid-day.



2½ surprisingly hot and sticky hours later.  Might not look much different to anyone else but I know how much soil has been raked smooth on the left.



This used to be the insulation from a caravan which a friend was scrapping, supplemented by some leftover polyester quilt batting.



How to move half a ton of sand without LP.


 





Looks pretty messy at this stage.  Thankfully there was virtually no breeze!





Half a ton of sand later.  A couple of bits with steeper sides had extra polyester, much easier than trying to persuade sand to defy gravity.






Underlay.



I got all the underlay in place before the light went.  Disgruntled Hobbit realised that even she can't install 34 square metres of pond liner in the dark.  Covered the hole with a couple of tarps, cleaned the tools and came in.  The only question now is whether I have the energy for a bath before I collapse in bed.







12 comments:

  1. I can almost see and hear the local, native residents watching and commenting about their new watering hole.

    We have a minuscule, and I mean 36" x 18", pond as we are on chalk with plenty of flint and it took forever to put that in! BUT it is a watering hole that we know is well used in an area that naturally doesn't hold water. A valuable piece of kit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amanda, this morning the pheasants were not sure about having to have breakfast in a construction zone. I remember trying to excavate a pond on chalk and flint when we lived in Hampshire; swing pickaxe, strike flint, re-invent fire. Repeat three hundred times ... Well done to you for creating yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dug the pond (7' x 4' by 2.5') at my last house. No stone, luckily, but no help -- just me and a shovel and grim determination. I'm older now so no water features here at Melissa Majora (although I would love to have a rill). Now I settle for wall fountains and the little birds love them.

    What? You couldn't persuade sand to defy gravity? Oh my! Have you misplaced your wand! *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't persuade sand to defy gravity

      Damn, does this mean I'm not immortal either?

      BTW, I dug a pond once with "just me and a shovel and grim determination" and got a stress fracture in my wrist as a result . . . your wall fountains are probably much more sensible.

      Delete
  4. Amazing progress, we're not going to recognise the place when we next visit. No idea when that will be ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewali, you know you are both always welcome, whenever that may be . . .

      Delete
  5. I did leave a comment this morning but it appears to have disappeared so at the risk of repeating myself. Your pond seems to change shape as the camera angle changes - now that is clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I am sorry Blogger ate your comment :{ No intention photo trickery - sorry!

      Delete
  6. I am very impressed, especially with the cleaning the tools bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK Pat, I don't always clean everything when I've finished (although I confess I do try to)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, self-inflicted therefore I expected (and got) little sympathy.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}