Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Like a fish needs a bicycle . . .

I need more seeds like a fish needs a bicycle.

I'm almost afraid to look in the back fridge - seeds currently fill one of the salad drawers and have now spilled out onto half a shelf *.  Even so, I was unable to resist the RHS members' seed scheme this year and it was like Christmas to receive this delivery - 20 packets of exciting potential.


The lovely catalogue lists germination requirements for all their varieties.  One or two are going to tax my horticultural skills having very specific needs and in a couple of cases taking up to a year to germinate.  I normally only sow easy plants which are guaranteed to grow from a Spring sowing, this will be interesting ... but I am rather looking forward to it.  All hardy perennials except for a couple of grasses which will be a new venture for me.


(*and another seven packets from the Heritage Seed Library arrived last month)


7 comments:

  1. As well as carefully graded rocks, even your seed selection appears to be alpabetised. I can only dream of being half as organised as a Hobbit!

    Nice backdrop for the photo by the way.

    PS I thought you weren't keen on grasses, or is that just ornamental ones...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I put them in alphabetical order . . . and you're surprised?

      PS: you're right, I have never been keen on the ornamental grasses which are so in vogue at present but I've seen some at Harlow Carr which stand well over winter and have lovely seed-heads ,so I thought I would give them a try (only 3 packets out of the 20 though).

      Delete
    2. “Of course I put them in alphabetical order . . . and you're surprised?”

      More impressed.

      Delete
  2. Lol! I was never a fan of grasses but am a convert with at least one in my garden and annoyingly I have lost the label and can't remember what it is. It was subtly beautiful all summer with delicate shimmering flowerheads, changed colour in the Autumn, looked pretty in the frost and has survived being covered in snow. Hoping to dig up and divide in the Spring if I dare ,,, I want more! Also bought Molinia caerulea subsp. arundinacea 'Transparent' last year which looked stunning in my brother's garden. Very pleased when I realised it was the same as the one I had just planted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, do you remember the big stands of Miscanthus Sinensis at Harlow Carr? They are what finally changed my mind about grasses.

      Delete
  3. Yes I remember them and remember you saying you liked them at the time. Just been working outside and see that the b****** rabbits have been eating my lovely grass. They left it alone until it snowed, hope they haven't developed a taste for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, you need a dog .... or wire around the bottom of your fences?

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}