Thursday, 23 February 2012

I only went out for milk!

Chainsaw duty on Sunday, shed building Monday and tree surgery on Tuesday plus a sleepless night left me doing zombie impersonations on Wednesday, and Thursday wasn't looking much better.  Although he was willing to come back for more punishment, I asked LP not to come over today, when I'm this tired I'm best on my own.  There was still a lot to do before the mower/tractor gets delivered tomorrow but I figured if I just plugged away quietly I'd get there in the end.

I'm sure it's not as precise as it could be (and is very temporary) but the removal of a redundant gate and fence post plus a couple of spare planks means we can get the machine off the drive and into the garden.



A framework of reinforced pallets in the mower shed covered with old decking tiles makes a base that will keep everything off damp ground until such time in the summer as we pull it all out and create something more permanent.  Time to order the door.



More messing around sorting out uneven ground, pallets as duckboards over the endless mud, and the start of a sort of step-cum-seat in the Coppice that I've been meaning to get to since October.



When I did eventually stop, there was a quick dash to Aldi.  Which is where we started - I only went out for milk.

I came back with milk, two apple trees and 8 packets of summer-flowering bulbs (Dutch Iris, Gladioli, Acidanthera and Liatris) and there's a good chance I will go back tomorrow  for more, conveniently forgetting I've already purchased 380 bulbs which have to be planted.  At £1.29 a packet, why not?  The apples are Braeburn on M26 rootstock which won't get more than 2 - 3m tall.  It might not be the best variety for northern England, according to Charles Dowding it is susceptible to scab but it is one of my favourite eating apples and at £3.99 per tree, could hardly leave them in the store.



Now known as Gladiolus Callianthus (I wish the botanists would stop changing things) the Acidanthera aren't going to survive a wet Cumbrian winter if left in the ground and will need to be lifted each autumn.  Someone remind me please.  James?



12 comments:

  1. A woman after my own heart BW but yesterday I just sat at home ordering things from Beth Chatto. I've tried growing acidanthera but they have never even come up so I hope you have more success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, shopping at Beth Chatto, is that for your border with the bird bath? Look forward to seeing what you selected

      Delete
  2. Looks like the new tractor will find Bag End a good place to stay - easy access and snug quarters. I'm sure it will help you no end around the place. "Milk." It'll get you every time! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, snug quarters we can manage, access is not quite as easy as I hoped, will make some changes tomorrow with Management's help.

      Delete
  3. I want to go shopping with YOU Billbo!!! hahahaha!! Well, I'm hooked now....hurry up SPRING! It's going to be great at Bag End!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't Eve, honestly you don't. I generally hate going shopping, unless it's to a fabric store or a decent nursery! Anything else is just a big ol' chore.

      Delete
  4. My acidanthera were wonderful last year, gorgeous scent but we bought bulbs from Harrogate Flower Show last April. If they have survived being lifted and stored over winter I will remind you next Autumn when I lift mine again. Just been out with my camera and found one tiny iris in flower among the miriads of snowdrops. Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, do you put your directly acidanthera in the ground or do you sink them in pots?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Aww, sorry you're having a bad week. Always lovely to have your comments Jill, regardless of how you spell them!

      Delete
  6. Hi Bilbo, I planted the acidanthera straight into the ground, probably around late April/early May. I grew some in a pot many years ago and tried to overwinter them in a cold greenhouse but they didn't survive.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}