Friday, 10 February 2012

Happy Day

To be honest, it didn't start as a happy day. It started before 5.00am when I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep, bit like a kid at Christmas I suppose - excited and waiting for Santa to arrive.

Santa in the form of a HUGE Steadmans truck arrived just after 7.30am. Crappy photos because it was trying to rain, barely light and I was using the phone. This was a big truck, I think the largest we've had here and had its own multi-directional and very clever forklift. Even Management, who really doesn't like early starts, got up for this one!



All that for 7 sheets of steel. The excellent wagon driver assured me this was not the smallest delivery he has ever made, apparently it was 'reasonable sized'.



LP arrived at 8.30 and made short work of cutting the steel.





Although I was able to insist he wore safety glasses whilst cutting, suggestions from Hobbit that this was not an Elf & Safety approved way of removing the temporary tarp were dismissed ....



Two sheets were fixed to the mower shed to make sure we'd cut the angles correctly, then LP decided He Was Going To Finish The Covered Area before he went home. Let's just say he didn't finish completely, it was dark and freezing cold by the time he agreed to pack up, but six very smart sheets of steel have replaced the flappy tarpaulin. Flashings and ridge have to be made to order and ours didn't turn up on the big wagon, guess they'll be here next week but thankfully it did not stop us making progress.

In all the outdoor excitement, Bert delivered more pony poo and our carpenter arrived after breakfast and quietly set about fitting a door between my study and the day room. He also measured up to replace the plastic monstrosity which acts as our front door. We have lived here nearly four years and I hate the existing UPVC door every time I see it. Hopefully it will soon be replaced with a solid wood door.

16 comments:

  1. That sounds a very productive day!

    We currently have a sheet of pond liner over a bit of leaky roof and I`m looking forward to getting that fixed in the spring.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning DW, hope you get your roof fixed soon; leaky roofs are horrid - we lived with ours for three years.

      Delete
  2. I think I get almost as excited for progress in your garden as in mine lol! I know my Bag End Elf has been otherwise occupied lately but I'm still trying to keep the wood piles dry with flappy bits of plastic, not even taups. BTW I try to make elf and safety suggestions constantly and they are always politely declined ie ignored! Just in the process of trying to choose new door(s) here. I will NEVER choose one from a brochure again without seeing it for real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I work on the basis that when I give safety advice to a consenting adult it is not my responsibility if they chose to ignore it .... and yes, I have been known to say "I told you so" on more than one occasion . . . I'm kind like that.

      I need to go off and look at doors next week, agree that they cannot be sourced from a brochure.

      Delete
  3. All very exciting! Did you wake the neighbours with the arrival of the big truck?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I don't think we woke anyone, but a few might have been a minute late for work because they had to wait whilst the clever forklift did its stuff (and briefly blocked our narrow road). No-one seemed unduly bothered, I think they're all used to us by now!

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo, going for a nice oak front door??? I can recommend them :o).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Ali, funnily enough - yes! Assuming I can find one I like, do you mind me asking where you got yours?

      Delete
  5. At this rate one day you'll wake up and there will be nothing to do. Oh the horror! LOL Hope you get a nice front door. A plastic one just won't do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one day you'll wake up and there will be nothing to do

      Rolling around on the floor laughing at this Kris, thank you. Hmm, do you mean one day there will be no weeding or lawns to cut, no fells to be walked, no fabric to cut up? Somehow I don't think I will ever have nothing to do, I'm just not programmed that way!

      Delete
    2. Oh lord, of course there would be creative/ recreational/ enriching fun to do, just not so much construction, machinery and heavy lifting. LOL

      Delete
    3. just not so much construction, machinery and heavy lifting

      Amen to that, Kris!!

      Delete
  6. Isn't it all exciting. The vibes are getting through to here in North Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, glad you are able to share some of the fun.

      Delete
  7. It tires me out just reading about your antics, but another item ticked off your lengthy list (once the flashings etc arrive)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I assure you it is FAR more tiring actually participating in all our antics than just reading about them!

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}