Wednesday, 22 February 2012

A different predator

I was in the bedroom when a flash of brown outside caught my eye, too big to be a mouse (and thankfully, not chunky enough to be a rat).  Looked again to see a small weasel darting across the bed behind our small pond.  It then ran down the bed, across the lawn and completed another 1½ circuits of the Cottage Garden before disappearing towards the front.  Typically I didn't have a camera to hand and was too busy being enthralled watching this furtive creature to run for the Canon. I was able to get a really good look at it bouncing around the garden and it looked so cute, however appearances can be deceiving. This is a vicious little killer and if one of the blackbirds insists on trying to nest under the shed either her eggs or chicks will find themselves on the menu as weasel supper.






9 comments:

  1. You habitat sports quite a variety of wildlife. Early last spring I saw a MINK for the first time back by the golf course. I was sooo excited. Alas, I never saw it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, I too get excited when I see more wildlife here, to us it means biodiversity, a healthy garden and whatever we see is usually food for something else. There are occasional mink in this part of the world, dreadful creatures; they have a very large foraging territory and can completely decimate an area of mammals and ground-nesting birds. A few years ago, whilst on holiday, we saw one at Grasmere. Made the effort to visit the National Trust rangers for the area, showed them photos of the creature and where it had a nest so they could deal with it.

      Delete
  2. A good look at its teeth would confirm it as a killer with no mercy Jilly. Are you keeping on the ground over there with this wind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Pat, not been blown away just yet, but it's been close!

      Delete
  3. Weasels are weasily recognised and Stoats are stoatily different :)
    I'm pleased you stayed to watch rather than run for the camera, sometimes I think people are too busy trying to 'get a good shot' to really appreciate what they are seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo - GROAN! I agree with you about staying in the moment rather than rushing to capture it; still, a photo would have been nice for the blog!

      Delete
  4. If only you could train it to just hunt mice and rats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}