Monday, 20 February 2012

Above and beyond the call of duty

When LP arrived at 8.30 this morning it was cold and windy.  We had a cuppa whilst looking at the pond and discussing plans for the week.  By the time we'd caught up on each others news it had started raining.  I thought he'd give up and go home but he'd made his mind up to try and get the mower shed as near to water-tight as possible.



 

He spent the day up ladders or on top of the shed, working hard.  I spent the day standing in deep mud steadying the ladder, getting very cold and making copious mugs of tea.





Two sets of waterproofs had to be hosed down at the end of the day and are currently drying in our mud room.  All credit to mine - 20 year old Rab walking gear that still keeps me bone dry in all weathers (although it's not breathable so can get a bit unpleasant by the end of the day!)



As if this wasn't enough, earlier when I told him the tree surgeon was due tomorrow morning he said "right, I'll be here at 8.30 then".  I really wanted his help but wasn't going to ask, he has a commitment on Tuesdays which I would never ask him to miss.  We might still be rained off tomorrow but I am in his debt for making the offer.

All photos from the phone which, thankfully, is waterproof, hence the smudges all over the lens and the fact that it is still working!

 

Supper, shower, bed.  Oh Dog, I'm so tired, and it's only Monday





14 comments:

  1. Would you please clone LP and send him over to my house???

    ReplyDelete
  2. FFG, he certainly is a Godsend, isn't he? I think your only chance of getting LP-help in your garden is to move to Cumbria, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So steely determination isn't just a Hobbit trait then… So, are you watertight then or is that just a daft question?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such thing as a daft question m'dear. The flashings on vertical corners are still to be fixed, the roof flashing hasn't been fixed to the shed, there is no door (yet) and the floor is acting as a sump and needs more quarry waste. However, with a tarp and steel motorcycle chain we can keep the mower/tractor secure and dry.

      Delete
    2. That almost sounds like the new toy^W mower's arrival is imminent. I hope you've gone for the 4WD version with all the Bag End mud you've got there! At least the IBCs will be filling up to keep the pond topped-up. Did Management come up with a way to utilise your IBC transfer unit, erm I mean pond pump? {g}

      Delete
    3. James, correct as always . . . nothing like a delivery deadline to concentrate the focus and get tasks finished. Management concluded that the levels were such that I could syphon the second IBC tank directly into the pond, bypassing the need for Heth Robinson, pumps or any other messing around . . . haven't tried it yet. We've had 1.5" of rain this month, most of it in the last week!

      Delete
  4. Yuk. Just yuk. Call me fainthearted, but there are times that I am very glad that I am me and not you!

    Well done to you both (but especially to LP) for such fabulous progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel, there are times when I wish I was you and not me either {grin}. Whilst I might have lost my sense of humour on a couple of occasions, I have never lost the vision I have of how this garden will look and that is my incentive to keep going (and the sooner it is finished, the sooner I can relax and enjoy it).

      Delete
  5. IT's always good to have a helpmate when you need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Sue, even though I often have to fit in with what suits his schedule, rather than mine (she says, sighing, having just found out he's back tomorrow instead of Friday as I expected!)

      Delete
  6. "relax and enjoy it" ,,,, who said that and do I know them!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}