Sunday, 15 January 2012

Is winter here?

The winter aconites would probably be happier* if they were in the ground rather than still in pots in the nursery area but it isn't stopping them flowering. I am consoling myself with the thought that as the pots are on a bench I am more likely to get the benefit of their scent.



Lovely high pressure has given us a few crisp, dry days with cloudless skies so the night-time temperature has fallen sharply. Half an inch of ice on the small pond this morning. Although I haven't managed to photograph it yet, most days there are three or four blackbirds splashing around in the shallow water having a good bath.



Regular winter visitors are back. Sometimes we see as many as seven Yellowhammer, yesterday I saw the male Bullfinch for the first time, and today two female Bullfinch.




* actually, the plants probably don't care. I, however, would be MUCH happier if I'd managed to get the Coppice planted last autumn.

7 comments:

  1. While we are currently enjoying a nice cold snap (teens since Friday) and some snow, we, too, will be yoyoing back up to 40s this week. Talk about bipolar weather. But, like at Bag End, here at MM the grass is still green, the birdbath is usually ice free and the gardener angsts over all the perennials as they have to deal with so much freeze/thaw this year. Thankfully, the plant lab is ready for action so I can putter downstairs.

    Your pond looks lovely - all those nice rocks. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, what a lovely set-up you have in your plant lab. you don't even have to go outside in order to play!

      Delete
  2. Yes, Bilbo, the birds have really come in over the last few days with the intense cold, haven't they? We had long-tailed tits on the fat balls today and twenty cock blackbirds on the ground eating up the fallen seed. We get one or two yellow hammers - you are lucky to get so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, 20 blackbirds is pretty amazing, I'm sure you are getting through numerous fat balls. I crush ours and put them on the wooden feeder with the soft-bill mix. They seem to go further that way.

      Delete
  3. I always feel so sorry for the poor birds out in this freezing weather - even the dog refuses to go out unless it is absolutely necessary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you with the Bullfinches. 'Two' is very special - and two of the same sex very encouraging! Husband saw 4 males in the hedge on the way down to the village the other morning, but we've only ever managed one of each in the garden at any one time.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}