Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Indoors weather

Ground absolutely saturated, not the weather for being in the garden.
Cloud base around 250 feet, not the weather for being on the fells.



Definitely the weather for messing around on the computer and being in the sewing room. It's taken time and could not be hurried, but my new room is finally up and running and I want to be in there. In the last 24 hours I've got the makings of 7 or 8 different projects on the design walls and taught a neighbour how to make a fabric basket!



Although these fabrics didn't come from the Scrap Basket Shelves, my collection of "food fabric" is now well and truly matured and needs to be used. I found 16 nine-patch blocks left over from a quilt made at least 7 years ago and it is time they found a purpose. Table runners seem to be in my brain at the moment. One will be offered to a friend who may, or may not, like it. If she does - great. If she doesn't no offence will be taken. The others will be sent to Mad Bat for finishing and then passed on to someone else who will sell them for charity. Everyone wins, and I get a little fabric used up!



The bright log cabin blocks were surplus to requirements when making quilts for James' boys last Christmas. After a good chat with Mad Bat this morning we have A Plan to make them into a playmat for a young mum she knows in Southampton.



The green/floral half-square triangles make an appearance every now and again. They were started nearly five years ago as the last project before I packed up the Hampshire sewing room. Since then I've changed my mind numerous times about what to do with them. Half have been turned into blocks for the Diamonds quilt from Sue's excellent Pick Four book, the remainder are currently heading for table runner status (with inspiration from Trudi) but as with all quilting plans, that might change . . .

At Christmas I promised to show my neighbour how to make fabric baskets and yesterday evening we settled down for an impromptu class. Ages since I've taught anything; I got everything prepared in the afternoon and she went home with a nearly completed basket and much enthusiasm for making more. I'd forgotten how much fun they are to make, and how simple. Note to self - must make more!




My finished basket. Love making them, forgotten what a pain in the **** they are to photograph well.

There are also four million, eight hundred and eleventy-seven 3½" squares of pale floral fabric, cut all those years ago in Hampshire. The piles to the left of the machine are barely a tenth of what is already cut and bagged. In between other distractions I am piecing them together; I have A Plan for some for some of them and as for the rest, who knows?

19 comments:

  1. Delighted to see you in sewing mode, Hobbit (and equally delighted to be able to not only see more that the header, post title and first two lines of entry before the post either freezes or goes blank; AND to be able to comment!)

    So much to like in this post - from the design walls (plural!) to the log cabins, which will make a brilliant play mat - and I rather like the green zigzag jobbies too.

    Look forward to seeing what all these will be when they grow up! {smiles}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shire-friend! Glad your technology is co-operating a little better.

      Look forward to seeing what all these will be when they grow up!

      Me too!

      Delete
  2. It feels wonderful to sit and know you know where 'stuff' is doesn't it? Have fun in your lovely space, I look forward to seeing what you create in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooohoooo! Now doesn't that feel better! grins! LOVE the runner, the scraps, the rainbow blocks, ... well what's not to love really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so good I have completely lost track of time and spent far too long there today.

      Delete
  4. It all looks very workwoman like and Ilove the walls with all the designs hanging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at working on just one thing at a time hence the need for multiple bits of flannel sheet hanging from metal rods. Also, when I'm doing stuff like this there is no 'design in advance', it's all "make it up as I go along" by sticking a bit of fabric up and seeing what it looks like ...

      Delete
  5. You learn something new every day - I couldn't imaging what a fabric basket could be. I had images of you plaiting strips of fabric together: Now I know! What a brilliant idea. They might be simple to you my dear, but I assure you I wouldn't have the patience! Well done on getting back into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make baskets by plaiting fabric, and I'm sure you'd be thoroughly amused by the version which wraps long strips of material around a plastic coated washing line ....

      Seeing as you'll probably steadfastly refuse to make your own, guess I'll have to create one for you?

      Delete
  6. Looks like your indoor day was way more fun than mine which was spent doing bookkeeping! I love the green and cream blocks, but then I would :o). The others look fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steady Ali, or when those blocks get too much for me you'll find yourself adopting them.

      Delete
  7. If you added pink into the green zigzags I'm sure Sewali would love them even more if they needed to be rehomed. As you already know, I have design wall envy - 1 would be great, but 2 would be wonderful. Good to see you found yourself something fun to play with on an indoor day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, how are your own design wall plans coming along?

      Delete
  8. Well, if you want some practice............!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even on the bleakest day a visit to your project room would cheer anyone up. What a garden of colors and designs. Your walls brought a smile this (grey gloomy day here) morning. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, what a lovely thing to say. Thank you :}

      Delete
  10. That's alot of projects, all very pretty though. I love the fabric basket, very clever. I've never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, I don't usually work on this many things at once, but they're all small projects and I want to get a few things finished.

      Delete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}