Sunday, 11 December 2011

Bah humbug?

Normally putting up the Christmas decorations is something I can't wait to get started on, a childishly indulgent activity which I look forward to and thoroughly enjoy. We have collected some lovely items over the years and unboxing these pieces is like seeing old friends again.

This year it's a chore and I haven't worked out why. Perhaps it is because we are so tired - Management is totally exhausted because of work commitments and I'm tired of my hip hurting and not being able to be as active as I want. Perhaps it's the weather. Perhaps it's an age thing. Who knows, but despite "thinking" about doing this since the first of the month, it has taken until today to make a start.



It would be easy not to bother but then I know I'll end up feeling cheated. We don't do much over the Christmas holiday but my decorations are the one Christmassy thing that we have always made an effort with.

Not sure how many of the numerous boxes will get completely unpacked this year, the jury is still out on that one.

I did, however, make progress last week on the huge kitchen table pile.

That's better:

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if it is an age thing! I haven't wanted a tree for the past couple of years and won't be having one this year either as we have no sitting room to speak of. I love the smell of real trees and always like seeing them but I hate taking them down and am not that keen on putting them up!

    It's STOVE DAY today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know what you mean, girlfriend! DH just about had to beat me to get me to put a tree up. And, I wind up doing most of it normally but this year made him stick right there with me. Maybe it is a combination of the age thing and the fact that we don't have anyone coming in for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, and if it wasn't for having the kids here, I probably wouldn't have bothered, but would then have spent the whole time feeling cheated somehow. Funny folks, aren't we?

    Your tree does look lovely though and well worth the effort of putting it up I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this, you have all made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe it's an age thing, or maybe you've been spending to much time with me and my Christmas uncheer has rubbed off on you! However, your tree looks very bright and festive, perhaps you'd better come over and try and rub some of your festiveness off on me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tree's looking great, well done for making the effort. It's a grief thing, I didn't want anything to do with Christmas for several years after my Mum died, we even went skiing in America twice to avoid having to do the whole piece at home. However, it's business as usual again here, but don't be surprised if it takes you a while to feel the enthusiasm again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CB, having seen your "tree" (which was very stylish if not traditional) I don't think there is the slightest chance of my love of decorations rubbing off on you.

    Ali, will think of you this Christmas without a furry, purring rug in front of your woodburner ...

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}