Wednesday, 19 October 2011

Mission Impossible?

"Your Mission, should you choose to accept it, is to plant all the recently purchased trees plus the shrubs which have been waiting patiently in the nursery".

A mission which really should be a simple task. LP has dug over the soil next to the hawthorn hedge so it is free from most weeds, large stones, lumps of tree root, not compacted - in fact, it is about as perfect as you could get. What is not perfect is the amount of rain we've had recently, feels like we're getting a major downpour most nights and the soil is completely saturated.



What should have been a one-day job took all of the weekend (dodging daytime showers) and most of the following week.

Thankfully however, nearly everything is now in but now I am worrying in case we get really cold weather sooner rather than later. The plants need a chance to get their roots down into the soil before it freezes (although I tell myself they are still better off than in pots where the root ball would be above ground and far more likely to get frozen).



Not making as much progress in the Coppice as I would like ☹

2 comments:

  1. “Not making as much progress in the Coppice as I would like”

    Well, it looks mighty fine to me — where has all the ground elder and comfrey gone! Tsk, some of us would be delighted to achieve half the amount you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I was hoping no-one would ask that question. The truth is that the comfrey got churned up by the digger and is regenerating magnificently. It's all over the place and is much of it likely to get dug up so that it does not overwhelm everything.

    The ground elder, err, umm, holding head in shame: glyphosate.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}