Friday, 29 July 2011

Soil shifting

Friday was definitely 'soil shifting' day. We finished digging over the huge bed next to the trellis and topped it off with the large pile of good soil that has been sitting under the blue tarp.

The planting beds we created in the arbour frame were looking very empty so I rectified that with Jasmine officinale 'Clotted Cream' and Clematis 'Guernsey Cream' (the nomenclature is completely accidental, I am not going for a dairy theme ...)



As I continue to move the small log pile next to the log store and unearth suitable sized bits of tree trunk I'll put in more edging. We did consider fixing larch slab but I think that would look too hard and solid. Experience also tells me that should I want to make any of these beds wider all I have to do is roll the logs forward a foot or two and dig behind them (although I'll resist that temptation for now!)



After some cogitating as to whether LP then ought to move to a different part of the garden and prepare more ground for hedging, the "sod it" factor prevailed and I decided we'd keep going here before moving round to the back of the house.



The turf was stripped off and has been relaid next to the arbour/Stumpery* It works well to build up the ground which sloped into the front bed at this point, I'll water it regularly, bumps and hollows need smoothing/filling and it may or may not survive ....



LP then started on excavating the nastiest soil we have found in this whole garden. Compacted solid, dry, loads of stones - very slow work and he ended up thoroughly frustrated and annoyed that he did not get it finished before the end of the day. Sheesh - it would have taken me all day just to strip the turf, a fact which I pointed out to him to no avail.

He dug, I moved the spoil to the Stumpery.

After he'd gone I had a big tidy up and decided the 'meadow' in the middle of the lawn had finished flowering and set seed so, with the exception of the Yarrow, it could be cut. Mixed with some fairly fresh horse muck I filled half a compost bin which will be nice and hot by the end of the weekend.



There followed some serious relaxation surveying the unusual sight of a tidy garden whilst applying essential rehydration (hic)!





* named by James, Highgrove it isn't but what else do you call a 16' x 8' bed full of old tree stumps?

6 comments:

  1. I think this is all highly commendable and shows great promise (on the part of the gardeners and the garden as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask - what is the spiral doo-dah sticking up in the lawn for??

    There followed some serious relaxation surveying the unusual sight of a tidy garden whilst applying essential rehydration (hic)

    Good for you - you deserve every sip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness me, you're in danger of having a real garden! Well done you, you certainly do deserve it, and the rehydration :o).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, thank you, it's coming on surprisingly well.

    Hazel, spiral doo-dah is next to a wild orchid that has set seeds but not dropped them yet.

    SewAli, looking at something tidy with real flower beds is a bit surreal, I keep being surprised that this is "my" garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well maybe with a few ferns you could create a real stumpery later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ferns are part of the plan Sue, just not planted yet

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}