Monday, 20 June 2011

There is manner in my madness

As if I didn't have enough to do in my own garden, I have promised our elderly neighbour that I will plant and tend a strip in his garden alongside the trellis fence. There is manner in my madness - I get a chance to control some of the weeds which will otherwise creep from his land onto ours and have a ready-made home for any surplus plants I find myself with.



The larch slab went in ages ago and will keep soil off the back of the fence posts and bottom of the trellis. Today I fixed up some spare timber rail (left over from the hawthorn windbreak) to give LP a line to dig to and to protect the plants. Without a firm edge the lawn/weeds will grow into the cultivated soil and the chap who cuts the grass will do all sorts of damage to perennials. Short-term loss for long-term gain. The line is not straight and I don't care, it is rather liberating to be engaged in 'just bung it in' gardening, rather than all the 'trying to do it properly' that I inflict upon myself at Bag End.

Not bad for two hours digging, it would have taken me two days:

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, if you think that's good, you should see what LP did in the following three hours! I'll blog that as soon as it stops raining long enough to take a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a real quick win, for you and for your neighbour. It'll give you a bit more of a screen too, and how great to have control of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls. No subterfuge here, I have been quite straight with the neighbour that one of the reasons I am doing it is to control the weeds. He's not a gardener but who knows, he might develop a slight interest?

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}