Thursday, 16 June 2011

Maintaining the status quo?

If plants go out, surely more should come in to fill the void?

Loaded up this morning and took a carload of grown-to-order tomato, cucumber and pumpkin plants to our friend EJ who farms nearby. There is, of course, a good reason for this generosity - in return I get a large quantity of manure.



Called in for a chat with Mrs Paterson on the way back because I knew they were cutting larch and Douglas fir this week . . . went home, quick lunch and as I was about to leave for Seaview Nursery, her son arrived with a very generous wagon-load of slab.



I was off shopping for some more Prunus lusitanica.



Confusingly, the leaves on today's purchases do not look exactly the same as the five biggies from Bennetts.



There followed the usual research, online and through the bookshelves and the best I can come up with is that the new plants ARE Prunus lusitanica (leaf shape and size correct, and new growth has red stems) and the ones purchased in May were mislabeled and are probably Prunus laurocerasus 'Otto Luyken' and if they are I'll be bloody annoyed because Otto Luyken is a dwarf form that doesn't get more than 1.5 - 2 metres tall in 10 years. Not much use when I really want a three or four metre solid evergreen hedge to protect us and the birds.



What to do? Leave them in the hopes they are not Otto Luyken and grow much taller (although if they're not, and they are not Prunus Nobilis [bay] then not sure what they could be), or move them quick to a location where height doesn't matter so much?

Who said gardening was an easy, relaxing pastime?

The Potager is in need of a lift so I also came home with 8 autumn fruiting Raspberries - Octavia and Autumn Bliss. I wanted Tulameen as well but the three little plants they had left weren't very appealing.

2 comments:

  1. If you can't lift, repot and take them back to the nursery (sorry, but they are NOT what you wanted, and they are NOT suitable) - which I appreciate is neither an appealing idea, nor a job for light fatigues - then resite them.

    You don't want to leave them in situ, hope for the next 3 or 4 years and then admit they are wrong, and then try to move them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely, which is why today LP spent 3 hours digging a completely new bed next to the house for them. They will be relocated before the end of the week (weather permitting, of course).

    I am sure I could have taken them back but I like them so don't want to.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}