Thursday, 2 June 2011

Cottage Garden Planting, 2

The Cottage Garden "middle bed" which is the other side of the fedge from the Potager. Eventually there will be a small pond at the house end of this bed, but not until lots of more essential digging has taken priority.

Brunnera Macrophylla Jack Frost, Hydrangea macrophylla Snowball, Hydrangea macrophylla Eldorado, Skimmia Japonica Rubella*, Hosta Hadspen Blue, Rodgersia and ferns at the shady end.


Weigela
Bristol Ruby and Astilbe in the middle which look much better together in real life than on camera.

Sweet peas around the obelisks and they're not doing well at all. If I stumble upon any of the clematis which I really want to grow over these supports then the sweet peas will find their way to the compost heap faster than you can blink.



The obelisk on the left would look a whole lot better if I hadn't completely miscalculated the amount of chain we need - must order more. As they have already blown over once (before any planting) we're not taking any chances and the chain should stop them throwing themselves horizontal in the next gale.

At the right-hand end, more Rogersia, Buddleia Royal Red and some of the smallest, strangest lupins I've ever grown ... that'll teach me to buy them rather than persevere and raise plants from seed.



Still in love with Physocarpus opulifolius Lady in Red:




* something of a confused and mistaken purchase. I deliberately bought male Skimmia being convinced that the ones I already had were female .... you can guess the rest. No berries this year, then!

8 comments:

  1. No wonder you said you were so tired last week when we were chatting on the phone. You've got so much done in the last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, I wouldn't have nearly so much achieved if LP hadn't done the hard digging. Still tired though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm - sweet peas not awfully good, are they? Mine were sown quite early (end of Feb) and although not tall as yet, they are sturdy and just starting to flower (as you know).

    I'd be interested to hear the rest of the Sarah Raven tale when you have time for an update.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hazel, off to a large garden centre today so fingers crossed I will come back with more than a couple of clematis. Have drafted a post about the Sarah Raven seeds but need to edit it - don't want to get sued for libel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully you have returned from HH with the necessary clematis. Why not leave the sweet peas in and plant the clematis as well? The Clematis are unlikely to cover the obelisk this year and even if they do, the sweet peas will mix in with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent idea, especially as the clematis are still sulking and unlikely to do much this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our sweet peas are reluctant too but some David grew from seed have produced some flowers. Unfortunately they are 'basket' sweet peas so the stems are about 2 inches long and pretty useless for cutting which I what I wanted them for! Some others we bought haven't moved so much as an inch since being planted out! I suppose they might be in flower in October!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill, glad I am not the only one with stubborn sweet peas.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}