Thursday, 28 April 2011

Spot the difference?

Looking fairly tidy over Easter

It wasn't just the obelisks which received the attentions of a large paintbrush generously loaded with black wood stain.







To say that I am pleased with the effect would be like saying there's a bit of a do on in London tomorrow. I keep stopping and looking at the potager and having trouble believing it's really mine, in my garden, and I made it! Am absolutely chuffed to bits - although it does need a bit of planting up. We have used black in a garden before and been very pleased with the effect but I had forgotten just how smart foliage looks against a black backdrop and how everything suddenly seems to have "come together".

Exhausted because this has been the best part of two days hard work. Painting on Wednesday afternoon was fairly painless but this morning Management suggested I had an opportunity to correct a moment of madness last year when I filled one of the long beds without fixing damp-proof membrane to keep the soil off the timber. Fortunately there was enough DPC left over in the shed and the staple gun made fixing easier but it was still ruddy hard work to move soil and I was kneeling down in the sun for far too long.



Now I've had a soak in the bath and recovered somewhat I don't mind at all. The job is now done, properly, and as a result the beds will last much longer - and it does look rather smart!

18 comments:

  1. That looks extremely professional and very smart. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when are you painting the fence and trellis black? ;D I removed my last comment as I put panting which is probably what you were doing when you had finished painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black is a very good contrast. Those obelisks look like the Cumbrian Moonshot attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayne I'm so glad you've opened your blog again! I missed you. Spoke with Joan this morning (we were talking about the wonderful hats on view down in London this morning) and she told me that you'd opened back up again. Hooray!
    Kimmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the comments.

    GLA - still laughing about the panting - a Freudian slip?

    VH - no, silly girl, they are chairs for the umpires.

    Kimmy - hey, welcome back girlfriend. I too spoke with Joan today, she said you had called. Glad you enjoyed The Wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, Matron - thank you very much. Smart and tidy are not words I normally associate with Bag End but I could get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey it all looks very neat and tidy. Is it real? Are you sure you haven't been working on photo editing (duck) again? Either way you have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear CB,

    a) my photo editing skills are not, and never will be, sufficient to change these pictures THAT much

    b) I'm very much looking forward to you cooking supper next week so you don't need to duck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive Bilbo, makes my garden look like steptoe's yard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's kind of you to say that Steve, but I suspect I am not the only blogger who can be more than a little selective about which bits of the garden I share. Trust me, it doesn't all look like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks wonderful - black does work so well in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Janet, I once made the mistake of painting too many panels in black but in moderation I think it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This would be my dream garden!! And at Bag End!!! Even better!!! Do you have any nasturtiums? It can't be Bag End without them!!
    This looks like such a lovely place. I'll have to look more into your beautiful homestead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eve, no nasturtiums at present, sorry :{ Had a look at a couple of your blogs - you are an excellent photographer and I shall be returning to (hopefully) get some inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}