Saturday, 16 April 2011

So much for my organic credentials

In an ideal world I wouldn't do it but we don't live in an ideal world.

With half an acre of garden rapidly getting totally out of control it was time to take a deep breath and buy a large container of Roundup. The Potager and Cottage Garden areas I've been concentrating on this year are less than a quarter of the garden, the remainder of which is getting completely of out of hand. Ground elder, Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata), ivy, dandelion, Hairy Bittercress (which can seed within 6 weeks of germination) and thistles to name but a few. John is due soon to do some fairly extensive ground works and if he moves soil with actively growing ground elder around the garden I will never be shot of it.


So, with great misgivings the majority of the Coppice, the front area by the huge tree stumps and a strip along the boundary which connects the two, plus the bed outside the front fence have all been sprayed. Given the soil is thick with perennial weeds and ground elder doesn't give up without a fight I expect have to deliver a second treatment.

No point agonising about it any further. The deed is done. I've squared it with myself by rationalising that the sooner I have the land cleared of perennial weeds, the sooner I can plant trees, hedges and shrubs for the birds, and native flowers to provide nectar and pollen. I tried to avoid the nettles, comfrey, Arum maculatum and the like.

4 comments:

  1. The important aspect is that you're doing your best to make things way better than before so I'm sure you can be forgiven your chemical assault on the nastier weeds. Let's hope it rids you of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support J, but I'm not pleased with myself. You either use chemicals or you don't - not really any middle ground - bit like only being a little bit pregnant???

    I'm hope once the ground elder and perennials are under control my planting plans will ensure I can stay on top of any future invaders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is annoying to have to resort to chemicals, but sometimes the weeds just get ahead of you and there's no other way to hope to keep them managable. So, don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FFG - thanks! The deed is done, I have to look at the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}