Friday, 8 April 2011

The Sherpa

No gardening this week due to a combination of re-building the spare room, electrician and plumbers finishing their work inside and total exhaustion. By Friday, however, I had to get outside, gardening withdrawal symptoms and all that. The usual faffing around for most of the morning, heavens knows what I do with the first three hours of each day. It took a surprisingly small amount of time to fix batten to the house wall inside the two huge planters that were built last year. 25-year butyl liner left over from the pond in Hampshire firmly fixed with batten and exterior silicon should ensure no moisture gets through the wall, and for good measure I added another thick layer of polythene behind the butyl.


And then it was time for soil . . . took a while to come up with a way of working that suited me - in the end I found that filling a bucket from the bulk bag and taking that to the rotating drum was the best way of extracting all the worms (into a little pot of compost for safe-keeping!) and not having to bend too often.

I've spent more than 12 months convincing myself that I could not justify this large and indulgent bit of equipment but I am so glad we took the plunge and bought it - The Sherpa will pay for itself in a month in what we'll save on chiropractor fees. Never has soil been sifted so effortlessly or efficiently to produce such a fine tilth.


Worked on a mix of approximately four parts soil from the big bulk bag to one part compost from the 2009 bin. Hopefully a Clematis Montana and a Honeysuckle will be happy with this as their long-term home.

When Management came home from work he found a very happy Hobbit who did not want to come in for tea!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure you do more with "the first three hours of each day" than most of us do with a whole day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roddie - flattery will get you ..... onto the Christmas Card list!

    Seriously, it will probably get you both a cuppa when you're next in the Lakes on holiday if you'd like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely I can't be the only one thinking that a video clip of the Sherpa in action is missing from this post...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. /[smack switch] = ON!

    Chortling quietly - if I could be ***ed to get out the video camera, set up a tripod, bla bla bla, then there would be video of The Sherpa - already thought of it, way ahead of you {snigger}

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}