Monday, 18 April 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-changes ....

To the soundtrack of fondly remembered 1972 Bowie hit ... time for my blog to have some changes.

Firstly, why does it exist? Plainly and simply it exists for Management and I to have a record of the progress made as we struggle to turn half an acre of Leylandii-infested wilderness into the garden we've both always wanted. As Flummery said so succinctly when we arrived here "my dear, you've bought Fangorn Forest ...." I want to be able to look back and see how far we've come and how things change. This is especially useful at times of complete exhaustion and despondence when I despair of ever having things straight again.

The blog also exists as a nice way to keep in touch with the family and friends who are too far away to pop in and see for themselves how we are doing.

And that brings me neatly to "secondly, why change". Well, initially I was only interested in recording garden progress. Subsequently it seemed like a good idea to have a second vehicle for non-garden issues and this was never so important as during the terrible summer of 2009 when my darling Ollie was failing. Mr Hairy had a fan club which stretched far and wide and his many friends cared enough to want to know how he fared during his last months.


I also thought that I should keep garden progress separate from house, quilts and the wonderful view. I've now changed my mind - a woman's prerogative. If the main purpose of the blog is to provide Management and I with a permanent journal then why try and make a distinction between different activities? Everything I do is equally relevant therefore I've made the decision to combine "The View From" and "The Other View From". It will make it easier for family and friends to only have one blog to visit and if other visitors don't like the dilution of gardening/wildlife then that's their problem, not mine! The use of the "label" feature makes it easy to find posts on particular subjects.


Which brings me neatly to friends. Last year I became increasingly uncomfortable with the number of visitors the blogs were getting, some days page clicks were into the hundreds and most of these folk were voyeurs. Either they didn't like what they found and buggered off, or they didn't have the courtesy to leave a comment or send an email. This is the one element of blogging which I really don't like; I make a point of either commenting on every blog I read or writing directly to the author. I know I am out of step with the majority in this regard but so what, I'm out of step with the majority of folk in most things!


That is why I took the decision to make our blogs private and restrict access to a known readership. This has worked fine up to now but recently a very dear friend has had some computer issues which have made it impossible for her to access the blogs. Her friendship is far more important to me than worrying about drive-by blog visitors so the 'privacy setting' has been revoked.

25 comments:

  1. Hey, I like the idea of combined blogs. We all do different things in our lives and they are all important to us, so there's no need to try to keep them all segregated. And aside from sharing the progress, it is always nice to get a little pat on the back from our readers who appreciate all the hard work that has been expended. So, carry on, my dear -- carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you were, then! {gg}

    I can appreciate why you took the blogs out of the public domain - after all, they aren't written for any ol' nosey beggar to peer over your shoulder at! Although speaking for myself, I've never worried about people from round the world having a gawp at my blogs - it's the 'Hey!!!!! I'm just round the corner from you!!!!' complete with multiple exclaimation marks which would worry me far more - which is why my blogs are relatively focused on their subject only, rather than my wider life.

    Anyway, you can always reprivatise if you change your mind again.

    Not commenting (or commenting rarely) on a blog that I like or that I return to frequently is something I'm guilty of - but not out of any intended rudeness - it doesn't mean I appreciate the content any less than if I comment frequently, just I may not have anything to say! (whaddya mean, when did THAT ever happen!!!{gg})

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS always good to see lovely Ollie pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Ollie pics and thanks for the update. As an almost non gardener I wondered in awe at the gardening blog but loved the other one because it just confimed how you always just get on with things even when the going gets tough!! Long may you blog my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo, I like the changes, your blog's come back online in my "reader" and will make it much easier to keep up daily. You've got some lovely Ollie pics there, I must go through and find some old Fatcat pics and do a suitable memorial post for him.

    Don't feel obliged to comment on all my blog posts, I don't bother to check stats :o).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks girls, always good to hear from you all, as you know.

    Hazel/SewAli: I didn't mean I expect a comment from every visitor on EVERY post, heck no, what I meant was that I'll stick my head above the parapet at least once with blogs I read that belong to "strangers".

    Sarum: miss you m'dear, and haven't forgotten that One Day {grin} I will take some pictures of Wodow Road. How's Dad?

    Glad you liked the Ollie pics, there are hundreds more where those came from ....

    SewAli, it will always be good to see Mackie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although you managed to train me to go look for new entries I must admit it will be nice to have them come to me again {g}.

    Love the second Ollie picture with his nose seeking something tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James, yes - RSS feed is back {grin}.

    Ollie was checking the rucksack in the certain knowledge that my lunch was more exciting than his ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know, I tend to post about most things on my main blog. It's getting to the stage I think, where there will only be one. I certainly 'dilute' gardening with the occasional quilt (now I'm retired I don't have as much time, fnar fnar!) but people don't seem to mind. However, it's not there for 'people' it's there for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so chuffed this morning when I opened my RSS reader and there was BagEnd, open for business. I did wonder why your blog had suddenly disappeared. I don't normally leave comments on blogs but I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading yours and how much I have missed it. I have just spent a lovely hour and a half catching up on all you have been up to. Blogs like yours are essential to up and coming gardeners/veg growers like myself as they enable us to go back over a year and see what you planted, where and when and how it did. I have just taken on a rather large allotment (5 weeks ago) which has required a fair amount of work to get it up and running. I hope to start keeping a blog of it's progress (just as soon as I can get photos from my camera to computer). Like you, I think it would be very satisfying for my children and I to look back next year and see how we have done. So glad to have you back in my reading list. All the best for now,

    Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Sarah, welcome and thanks for leaving your comment. I don't know that you will learn much about veg growing from me - you need Hazel and Flummery for that. Good luck with your new plot, hope you too start a blog of your progress.

    Hazel, forgot to PS - ditto everything in your 1st para, as we have discussed before {g}.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flummery - wot's retired then?

    Is it sitting around on ever-increasing backside wondering what to do to fill the day (which, apparently, is how many grown-ups spend their time)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm delighted to have Bag End back on RSS. It was always worth the effort of logging in, but RSS will make it a lot easier, and avoid the disappointment of logging in to find no new posts.

    Having said that I sympathise with your desire for some privacy. For various reasons I've recently had to get to grips with Twitter, Facebook et al, but I still baulk at putting out too much info.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roddie, I am already enough of a twit and I refuse to mess around with Faceache. Good luck to you, I reserve the right to promote Luddite status in The Shire {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm guilty of not making myself known to you in the past... I didn't mean any disrespect. Your blog is inspirational and I especially loved to see how you were transforming your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am delighted you are back in public and I can see your exploits again (which also seems to explain why so many posts from you appeared on my reader today). I do love looking at your garden and quilting progress - you are very talented and I'm glad you've decided to allow public access to your blog again so I can see all the exciting things you've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vivian, thank you for saying hello!

    Mrs Pao - welcome back, hope you and Mr P are well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wondered why your blog had suddenly popped back up to the top of my bloglist!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi GLA, the wonders of technology {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is wonderful to be able to access your blog again. I must say, however, your busy-ness leaves me totally exhausted. Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What wonderful memories of Ollie! I've just taken out some of Ollie's sunflower seeds to plant! Howz the puppy coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the comment Matron, have written to you privately.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey Bilbo, just back from holiday and your email was the best out of 123 crummy ones! After a week on a quiet beach with no technology at all I'm wondering what I'm doing back on a computer so soon though! Oh yeah, friends blogs - the best reason. I'm pleased about your decision to combine - I'm a bear of very little brain (as Pooh Bear would say) and too many blog feeds bother me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome home Nic! You must have received some rubbish messages if mine was better than the other 122 {grin}.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}