Monday, 7 March 2011

Indulgence

A sunny afternoon so I treated myself to a leisurely drive across to the Eden valley and a visit to a couple of nurseries. The first was a disappointment but I will reserve judgement until a second visit - it's not a good time of year to be writing off a potential supplier. The second was, predictably, wonderful - Larch Cottage Nursery in Melkinthorpe. Peter always has an excellent selection of plants and it took remarkable restraint to come away with just two climbing roses and a clematis.


What I could not resist, however, were two huge rhubarb forcers. I have no intention whatsoever of subjecting my rhubarb to this treatment; as I explained to Management later "think of them as garden art". Not sure where they will end up but I think they look fantastic wherever they are.


5 comments:

  1. You are a softy! Won't force rhubarb? You only subject each crown to it every few years, and they are otherwise the most pampered rhubarb in the north!

    You're right about the forcers though, they look great - I can see them now peeping out from behind a trellis covered in sweet peas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on rhubarb forcing - just leave it to grow naturally and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hazel, glad you like my "garden art".

    GLA - someone wrote to me privately and said "I don't torture my rhubarb either" so we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blimey you're an early bird. I shouldn't think many nurseries around here have even got any stock ready for sale yet. I like you terracotta baby daleks - But I am sure you do need to feed them with Rhubarb, or they won't survive the winter up here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CB - only you could call my lovely planters "daleks" {giggle} although I do see your point!

    I think they might over-winter in the shed if it gets to minus 15 again. There's bound to be all sorts of rubbish they can eat in there.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}