Thursday, 3 February 2011

Not pretty

To be honest, there are very few gardens which do not have a mucky corner somewhere, a bit of an eyesore that you keep meaning to tidy up but never get to. Trouble is, at Bag End 'mucky corners' have a tendency to be a little on the large side.

Like the large side of the greenhouse ...


This is the area between the greenhouse and our neighbour. At one end lies the huge IBC tank which takes water from the shed & greenhouse roofs. The other end is accessed from the nursery area and is somewhat blocked by holly, yew, ivy, brambles and a couple more self-sown plantings of vicious rambling rose. It has all got to come out, this space is 21 x 9 feet and I want to be able to use it.






Have made a slow (and painful) start on cutting out the nasty prickly stuff and as soon as the ground dries out sufficiently will try and dig up the holly and yew plants, it would be great to be able to reuse them in hedging. Have filled three large green bins with rubbish just from here, the Council can take it, I definitely don't want to compost it.



Despite taking many photos, they really don't show how horrible this area is, so I thought I'd try the video again.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got your work cut out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes ... not sure which is more difficult - trying to pull all the bramble and rose out without damaging my sight or the forthcoming lovely(?) task of digging up all the self-sown holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder you want it cleared. Some people's gardens are smaller than that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flummery, I am sure you can guess what I might want to use this space for {smile}

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've far more experience of taming wild areas than I have, I know, but given the prickly-quotient alone, I'd say stuff trying to transplant yew/holly, strim (scythe?) it all down to low level and put yer best fork to use on the roots.

    What's the fence like between you and the neighbour, or are you intending to beat some sort of hedge into shape out of this lot? Or if you clear this lot competely you might be adding fencing to the List!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hazel, after 40' tall Leylandii, a bit of prickly holly is a walk in the park (although I concede that the roots may be too deep and I might not be able to transplant).

    Current fence between us and neighbour is post and pig-wire. Saw Patersons yesterday and they've been instructed to continue trellis to boundary line and then down towards shed. Hopefully it won't take them as long to do this as usual . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember that a fox can get through a 4" square, so I've been told. And he can bite through wooden trellis. Back it up with weldmesh or similar and you'll be fine (or your chickens will!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Flummery. The plan is to put chicken wire on the inside of the trellis and bury it at least a foot at the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Miss! If your blog stats go up this weekend it is because I am re-reading all of Hen Heaven from the beginning, but I've got distracted and gone off to Celia's and the Spice Girls {grin}

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blog stats? OK I know what they are but I never read them! Celia's blog is a great read and not only for the Spice Girl bits!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}