Wednesday, 20 October 2010

Extremes of temperature

In the last week the greenhouse has experienced a crazy range of temperature for the time of year.

During a particularly lovely sunny day the temperature went to over 100 degrees.



Last night we had the first major frost of the year, an early appointment in Cockermouth meant I was scraping significant ice off the car at 7.30am. Not surprised to see it went below "zero" in the greenhouse, definitely time to bring the last of the tomatoes inside.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! What a huge range in temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No frost for us just yet but any day now I suppose!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi GLA, don't do what I've done - forgot to harvest the last three little yellow courgettes. They're now frosted mush and on the compost heap :{ Shame because we've enjoyed "Soleil" far more than the traditional green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We managed a little cucumber today but the courgettes were very tiny very tiny. It will be a case of whether they grow before the frost - I did also pick some alpine strawberries, raspberries and dahlias today - just in case!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! we had some lovely sunny days last week, the garlic in my greenhouse grew 3 inches in just a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}