Monday, 16 August 2010

Progress

Progress - I love that word when it relates to the garden.

After a surprisingly hot weekend the weather forecast was for rain from Tuesday onwards so if I was to get the rest of the grass cut it had to be Monday afternoon.

All the grasses and wildflowers on the large west lawn have finished flowering and gone to seed, including the orchid, so it was time for a major chop. Whilst it's lovely to have a "meadow" section, it still needs cutting and it's a big job, not one I particularly relish.



However, once completed I love how tidy everything looks :} This gives me a brief glimpse of how the garden might be in five years time (actually, it looks nothing like the pictures in my imagination, but I know what I'm thinking).

Our neighbour came and commented how hard we have been working recently and much nicer the garden looks from his side, which was very kind of him. Trouble is, this just serves as a reminder that he is a nosey old g*t who likes to stand and watch what I am doing when he's nothing better to do. The reed screen went up on the Potager fedge to limit what he can see, and I suspect it won't be long before I add some more to the wire fence between our properties.



More progress was the arrival of Billy Paterson to confirm exactly where/how many uprights we need for the dividing trellis. He was happy we'd done all the marking out on Sunday because it made his life much easier. Hopefully, uprights this week and then trellis will be made exactly to fit.

13 comments:

  1. Ask your neighbour to pop over and help instead of just watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bilbo, meadows are a lot of hard work but look wonderful in the height of summer.

    It is strange, looking across your garden I can almost envisage that finished garden. I hope that you will still be blogging then, as I would so enjoy seeing the finished landscape.....

    Hows that bruise....is it giving you a lot of discomfort??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies.

    GLA: neighbour is not a gardener ...

    Cheryl, I see this blog as a personal diary, a record of what we do and the progress we make. I've no plans to stop updating it, but you'll have to stick around a long while to see the garden all planted up :}

    Thanks for asking about the bruise. Yes, it hurts, but in the Great Scheme of Things it is nothing. Lots of Arnica cream :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a lot of log splitting - I saw your huge pile where now you have lovely mown lawn. You're so industrious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nic, only problem is that the lawn doesn't stay mown, ruddy stuff keeps growing :}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lawns are like housework, as soon as you've done it, it needs doing again, so I reckon the best thing is not to do it in the first place. Bet the bruise is wonderfully colourful by now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a nice idea QuiltSue, but really wouldn't work here!

    Yes, the bruise is a disgusting range of colours and hurts :{

    ReplyDelete
  8. To give yourself a metaphorical pat on the back, go and pull up the entry for 16/11/2008. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  9. James - I knew there was a reason I liked you! That was a good day, wasn't it? Almost a shame we don't have enough rubbish to do another one that size this November.

    PS: what's the code for embedded links in Post Comments? Is it the usual <a href="http:// bla bla bla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't you pleased there isn't that much rubbish now? Sheesh!

    Yes, <a href="...." just like any HTML anchor/hyperlink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well of course I am pleased, but it was a half-decent party, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green wildlife wasteland which supports very few animals and takes a lot of time and chemicals to maintain?

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}