Saturday, 17 July 2010

Feeding time at the zoo

Long grasses are going to seed and providing breakfast for some very hungry (?) finches. I always find it hard to identify young birds at this time of year before they have developed their adult plumage.



Finally abandoned by Mum pheasant (who was seen mating again about 10 days ago) the youngsters still visit in twos and threes.




This is about a quarter of the jackdaw population whose ravenous appetites have forced us to get out the cages and protect much of the food.


I bought a new sunflower feeder on my last trip to Birds' Bistro. This one has twice the capacity and six feeding stations instead of four. The little buggers STILL manage to empty it before the end of each day. I don't really want to measure/weigh how much food I am putting out every day, it's easier not to know :}


Even Sparrowhawk have to eat - but on this occasion he left empty handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}