Thursday, 17 June 2010

Transformation

There is a point in the year when the greenhouse stops being a 'plant raising place' and becomes (hopefully) a 'food raising place'. Not much to show for two days work but as usual, fool Hobbit carried this out whilst it was in the high 80 degrees under glass!

Wednesday: take out all the plants which are not going to live under cover for the summer, try and find somewhere to store the pots so they won't dry out in 5 minutes flat (the temporary nursery area is already full, beds that plants were destined for not ready, aarrgghhh ...) Build a fairly permanent wooden supporting structure, in future years I am sure I'll beef this up but I think it will suffice for Year One.

Taken from the door, left side, middle and right side:






Thursday: An awful lot of potting up. All the edibles settled into their final (large) pots. Why I think two people need 16 tomato plants*, 10 sweet peppers, 4 chilli, 2 aubergine and 4 cucumber is a mystery. Not convinced that growing cucumber under the staging will work - although it gives the fruit a chance to hang down the plants may not get enough light. It was either this or sacrifice tomatoes - or remove all the bottom staging, put the peppers on the floor and have the cucumber draped around the greenhouse roof ...

Supports are in place for an irrigation system (large blue tubs on the ends of the staging are the water reservoirs), just got to sit down with all the components and put it together.

The additional space of the other greenhouse is definitely going to be wanted in future years. Trouble is, there's a huge log pile sitting where we want to build the Alton, BUT, that is not the log pile we were going to use next.



We want to move the logs nearest the kitchen window so that some cultivation and a small pond (for the birds) can be started. It will be interesting to see how this pile translates into split logs and how much has to be put somewhere else.



* Roma - Italian plum type, meant to be excellent for cooking, matures late
* Garden Pearl - hanging basket type, small cherry, question marks about its flavour.

* Harbinger - regular "golf ball sized" salad tomato

* Costoluto Fiorentino - supposedly one of the best beefsteak tomatoes, matures late.

3 comments:

  1. The more I see of your g/h, the more I love it, love it, love it! I take it that the marigolds are there to deter whitefly? What is growing in the middle up the wigwam?

    The only problem with cramming so much in (and I would do exactly the same too - remember the squash going mad last year? Four plants in a 20' by 4' bed was TOO MANY) is that it might all get a bit triffid like in a month or so - but you'll work round it, I'm sure!

    You can never have too many tomatoes, in my view, and your choices look good to me. Flum swears by sungold, I believe, so you might want that on your list for next year - I grew costoluto last year without success, but that was down to the blight rather than the variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Hazel, wigwam in middle has the 4th cucumber - I couldn't bear to put it on the compost heap. The other three are being "risked" under the staging.

    I wish you hadn't told me four squash in a 20 x 4 bed is too many ... Marigolds - yes, companion planting.

    Fingers crossed we will escape blight. Very few neighbours seem to grow veg and the plants are under cover which might protet them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you do a veg box scheme with all that spare veg and if so can you deliver several hundred miles south!? Second thoughts buy another freezer?

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}