Tuesday, 8 June 2010

The Case of the Disappearing Garden Bench

Nothing to do with Miss Marple. Remember I said the wasps were eating one of the benches?

A few weeks ago I watched a couple of blue tits closely investigate the nest box outside my study door (on the balcony).



As is often the case, this event and the pictures suffered from blog-lag and never made it to publication. It seemed to be the birds making such a mess of the entrance hole - a couple of times I heard them tapping at it like demented Woodpeckers.



I saw a few feathers at the bottom of the box and it looked as if a nest was being prepared but then the birds went away. It wasn't until eagle-eyed James visited we saw why. It was much smaller when James spotted the nest, now it is almost too big for the nest box!



Now I know where the missing bits of our garden bench are.

I like wasps, they're simple creatures just getting on with their lives. It's not their fault they get bad tempered and grumpy in the autumn, so do a lot of humans I know. The Einstein quote "if the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live" may or may not be bogus but the fact is that we cannot survive without wasps or bees, they are all important pollinators.

Management and I have debated whether or not to do this but sadly, as the nest becomes larger it is getting harder to walk onto the balcony without disturbing them, or to leave the door or windows open. I waited until dusk when they should be quieter, covered the entrance hole with tape and moved the nest box from the house wall to the fedge - a distance of about 40 feet and kept the orientation exactly the same, removed the tape and scarpered!



Relocation appears to have worked, the wasps are active at the nest box every day and thankfully they are now leaving the balcony alone.

1 comment:

  1. That's one part of your garden I don't want to inspect too closely.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}