Wednesday, 9 June 2010

Bloody Mice

I shouldn't be surprised - the door is open 24/7 and it is nice and dry in there. Distinctly unimpressed when I went out for the bedtime greenhouse check on Sunday night to find some of the Poppy seedlings disappeared completely and soil all over the place. Small furry rodents are the most likely culprit. Removed any potential nesting sites from the floor (under the benches), installed a couple of live traps and shut the door.



If anything I am surprised it hasn't happened before, mice are known to be partial to pea shoots and I've germinated a couple of dozen of Hazel's HSL peas this year which were in here with the door open for ages. Perhaps it was warm and dry enough in other parts of the garden for them not to bother before now. It took a couple of days but this little thing succumbed to the lure of mixed corn and was caught overnight.



More live traps have been ordered because these ones were "borrowed" from the house. I'll put one in the shed as well, there's an awful lot of "temptation" in there if you are a small rodent.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad we only have ants during the summer and not mice all year round.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}