Friday, 18 June 2010

Admitting defeat or a rare attack of commonsense?

Finally fitted the boards to the long bed in the potager but seeing as we have had no proper rain for over a month the soil is completely unworkable (even though it's been dug over once).



I have covered it all with black membrane and will leave it for as many weeks/months as necessary. Yes, it would have been nice to plant some more squash and pumpkin but there's always next year. More irritating is the fact that I have a nursery area full of perennials which now have no home ...



When these were sown in April I assumed I would have prepared the long bed on the Potager side of the Fedge and the curved bed on the Cottage Garden side. I didn't factor in the driest Spring since 1929 which has left the clay soil totally unworkable.



On a positive note, this means that all the Potager carpentry is finished. The only things left to do with this area (apart from grow things) are re-seed the strip next to the path where we removed the fencing and dig a small pond - easy stuff!

1 comment:

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}