Thursday, 6 May 2010

Fedge, part one

I've been wary of talking about this before, announcing "plans" at Bag End seems to be a surefire way of scuppering them.

The "timber store" next to the potager was always going to become a Fedge - part fence, part hedge, part windbreak with built-in bird boxes and planted with climbers to give protection to anything which which wants to roost there. Originally we were only going to have a bed on the potager side but in our usual style, plans have changed and I am going to cultivate both sides. This meant that extra turf had to be removed - it looks SO much easier on Time Team.



However, an hour later and one strip was done. I decided to work on one side of the bed at a time and am in a hurry to get the potager side ready for planting. There is far more growing in the greenhouse than I think I have beds for, hence the urgency.





Made sense to me to fix the posts before tilling the soil. Once again I am indebted to SewAli and the Lumberjack for recommending this splendid little tool.



"Other augers are available", and may cost less, but I can see a long and happy association with mine. I've never managed to get post holes dug so easily or accurately. Thanks guys, much appreciated.





The bed is 24 foot long so the posts fitted nicely with 6 foot gaps between.



Two bags of Postcrete later and it was time to clear away the tools and collapse with a bottle of Jennings!



Before Hazel asks - there is a bit roughly 5 foot square at the house end of the fedge. It's going to be a very small pond. When I visited Crookdake House (NGS) last year I was really impressed with the tiny ponds Alannah Rylands has around the garden in addition to a HUGE pond where the ducks and chickens live. We will still - eventually - create a big wildlife pond the other end of the garden but this way I get some water a bit sooner.


The inspiration for our "fedge pond". The planting here is glorious (click on pic to enlarge) and will be copied; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :) I really MUST sort the Crookdake pictures out and publish some of them.

9 comments:

  1. In our last garden, the clay was so hard we planted our first crop of potatoes using an auger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exhausted just reading about it all ... well done on what you've achieved, it's really looking like a garden now :o). Glad you like the auger, I have to confess to letting OH have all the fun with ours, hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our pond is only small - about 3' x 5' but keeps the local frogs very happy as well as providing drinking and bathing for the birds.

    Sadly mine's not as accomplished as the one at Crookdale, but I'm sure the Bag End mere will give it a good run for its money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know much about ponds (except that they are a Very Good Idea) - but don't you need a pump or something (can't remember why)?

    Brilliant to have the pond by the potager for the frogs - I guess that you will you have to import a bucket of frogspawn to get you going next spring - or will frogs find a new pond by themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see the appeal of that pond. Mine will never look that good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frogs have an amazing ability to find new water. I think we spotted frogs in our pond less than 24 hours after filling it for the very first time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having more things growing in the greenhouse than you have space to plant out - that's a great motivator! I'm sure I'd never get my beds dug if it wasn't for the annual "oh my God I've sown far too many things" panic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all the comments.

    We already have toads in the garden but if someone offers me a bucket of spawn next year I won't say no. In our last pond we had huge green dragonfly emerge within 12 months - I am sure it won't take long for the 'locals' to colonise it.

    Hazel, this will be a wildlife pond - essentially a manmade puddle and should not need a pump, however, if I get worried in summer about the need for exygenation I could always fit a little solar powered thing.

    Rebsie - glad I am not the only one who needs imminent disaster to motivate me to make progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What on earth is exygenation - is it anything to do with oxygenation?

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}