Sunday, 16 May 2010

Digging Week

If universities can have Reading Week, then Bag End can have Digging Week. All these nasty, cold, frosty nights are a Good Thing (hang on, there is logic here, somewhere!) It means I cannot possibly consider putting out this years tender plants therefore I still have time to prepare the two long Potager beds and make room for some of the Triffids currently trying to take over the greenhouse.

Whilst it is fatal to have plans at Bag End, perhaps if I have some goals to aim for during the week I might fare better? (Stop laughing at the back, I know who you are.)

Although it is not as neat and tidy as when we pay someone else multiple beer vouchers, the fedge is now in place and digging has started. A couple of hours on Saturday and a few more today has got me half way along the 24 foot bed. No Mantis on this one - the soil is not too compacted and there are a good number of worms.


The aims for this week are to get this bed dug, wooden edges along the front of this and the "nectar bar" and add multiple barrows of cow muck. If I have any time and can still walk, I'll make a start on clearing the area next to the greenhouse where one of the IBC tanks will go. The continued tending of greenhouse plants and endless potting on will be fitted into the digging breaks . . .



Oh yes, and drive to Carlisle with poor, not-very-well lawnmower which has so far defied the best attempts of Management and I to cure whatever ails it.

6 comments:

  1. You make me gasp for breath just reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be tempted to leave an area 'unmucked' for wildflowers which really thrive on an impoverished soil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GLA - sorry :}

    Flummery - you are right, need some "unmucked" space but there are plenty of other areas which are severely impoverished. Funny you should say this, I was looking at Yellow Rattle seed yesterday ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've a feeling yellow rattle is parasitic on grass, so it will do well in your wild area. We had it at the old house. We think the seeds got shaken off our boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right as always Flummery. It is parasitic on rye/fescues (something to do with nitrogen nodules on roots) and is well known for reducing the fertility of lawns prior to seeding with regular wildflower mixes. Has to be sown in autumn as it needs vernalisation to germinate.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}