Sunday, 25 April 2010

It's a sickness

Last week I think I made the rash comment that I would try not to sow more seeds than I could cope with . . . Oh stop laughing at the back, I didn't believe me either!


Damp and grizzly today, perfect to be in the greenhouse on a Sunday morning. Is it me or has the Archers got really silly?

Sowed lots of lovely things, some to eat and some for the insects and potted yesterday's Geraniums into square pots.

Lupin - Double Purple*
Lupin - Nicholson Purple*
Oriental Poppy - Mr Photo*
Oriental Poppy - Hannah*
Calendula Hazel*
Nigella - Mayfield*
Scabious
HSL Climbing Pea - Stephens
HSL Climbing Pea - Robinson

* these names are my own invention, based upon where/who I've got the seed from.


and trying not to think about how much space they will all need once germinated and potted on - and REALLY trying not to think about the seed order I placed with Chiltern Seeds this week.


Compulsive Gardening Disorder - it's a sickness, albeit a wonderful one - I haven't even started on acquiring all the seeds I want to sow in late summer for over-wintering.

Behind the greenhouse is a lovely Chaenomeles , Japanese Flowering Quince, a plant which appears to be out of favour these days but one I have always liked. No idea yet if this is superba, speciosa, or japonica. Needs pruning, must check what to do and when.

Also badly in need of attention is this huge, sprawling honeysuckle that is just begging to have lots of air-layered cuttings made from it.

Keith popped in and made another pair of brackets for the 5th Hay Rack. They look great hanging around the balcony and now all the welding is done I can think about painting the railings.

Although I didn't get as much done as I would have liked, it was wonderful to be in a warm, dry glasshouse whilst the weather drizzled outside. No cooking tonight - family are visiting Cumbria and staying locally and as I have a Significant Birthday in a couple of weeks {gulp} we're being taken out for supper. Gardening and no cooking in the same day - perfect!

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the flowering quince too! I walk past one regularly and have always wondered what it was. Thanks!

    Love the blog, and your garden - it's beautiful! You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Real gardening, bet you're as happy as a pig in ... muck :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nome, what a small world, I went to school in HH . . .

    SewAli - yep, happy as a . . . (actually, pigs rather prefer to be clean)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your idea of a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought a flowering quince a few years back. It's not out of favour here. There's a wonderful poem that mentions it - called 'Naming of Parts'.
    "Japonica glistens like coral in all of the neighbouring gardens .."
    Bet you could google it.

    You can never sow too many seeds. There are always willing recipients of free plants (or school or village fetes are glad of them!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flummery said:

    I bought a flowering quince a few years back. It's not out of favour here. There's a wonderful poem that mentions it - called 'Naming of Parts'.
    "Japonica glistens like coral in all of the neighbouring gardens .."
    Bet you could google it.

    You can never sow too many seeds. There are always willing recipients of free plants (or school or village fetes are glad of them!)

    posted by Bilbo as Blogger is being stupid this morning

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a flowering quince that we grew from a pip. It came from a red variety but has reverted to a orangy salmon but still looks lovely. It is now huge and growing up a fence.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}