Friday, 30 April 2010

Fine finish

As the calendar shows, April has been an outstanding month albeit an exhausting one.

Although I've got quite a lot done this week in general it has been small, bitty stuff therefore in usual Hobbit style I decided to end the month with a bit of a big day.

Not touched since the beginning of the month (where the heck do the days go) it was time to finish the bed which will become a hedging windbreak for the potager area. I've been calling it the "yew hedge" but the jury is reconsidering whether that is actually what will be planted here.

This photo looks so innocent.

It doesn't show digging the whole bed over by hand to remove the remaining perennial weeds. It doesn't show then going over it all with the Mantis to break up the rock hard pan which was almost impenetrable in places. I don't like using the tiller unless I have to but there were so few worms in the soil and it was so hard packed - and this is the only time this bed will ever suffer mechanical attack like this.

The photo doesn't show the bed being dug over by hand a second time to break up the large dry chunks nor is there a record of numerous trips with bucket loads of cow manure because I can't get the wheelbarrow to this area ... but it does show the whole thing raked over and finished and looking quite wonderful.

Damn hard work but a lovely feeling knowing it has been done properly and will never need doing like this again. I've since laid black membrane over it, don't want a pile of weeds growing before I get the plants in!

9 comments:

  1. That looks lovely - a job well done!

    Not that this area needs it now, but did you know that you can buy garden worms to re-populate a 'barren' area?

    (I collected a parcel from the sorting office once, & not knowing what I was collecting beamed to the chap behind the counter, 'oh, someone sending me presents!'

    I thought he looked at me oddly when he went into the back office & it was only when he came back with a parcel prominently labelled with 'CAUTION LIVE WORMS' that I realised why!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giggle - actually, I did know that but had forgotten it. Last time I looked online for live worms they seemed very expensive, where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very satisfying to have a finished bed looking like that and knowing its done properly...even without plants in it. The manure should have furnished it with a new wiggly army which will soon start producing offspring.

    As an ex fisherman I have bought worms many times and found they soon bred to give me more..inside a week on occasions. So worms will soon be breeding away in your flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wiggley Worms (?sp) - the original 'can-of-worms' people. I can't remember how much they were, but for what I wanted they seemed good value at the time - although this was a few years back.

    Actually, it's worth doing a search online as home composting and wormeries are so much more popular now. Alternatively, you might be able to buy fishermans worms more cheaply - assuming that these are the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks both. As Mr P. says there were quite a few in the cow muck and hopefully they will breed happily, especially now that the soil is warming up.

    The same soil/muck mixture now fills the raised beds and when I moved soil in one recently to put the seed potatoes in there were a satisfying number of wrigglies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another job to tick off the list, you won't have anything left to do soon :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your not seriously expecting us to believe that there will be time for the weeds to grow before you get some plants in are you? The rate you seem to work at you could conquer the fourth bridge and have a holiday before it needed doing again!!! Well done !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So if not yew, what then I wonder?
    It looks as though that was a satisfying, if tiring day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure Sue, maybe holly, maybe everygreen Berberis, maybe ????

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}