Thursday, 18 March 2010

Lucky Escape

Hazel said "hope you have a green dot day", bless her, and I did but not quite the one I wanted.

High winds last night and broken sleep, it has been calm for so long I'd forgotten how noisy it gets when the wind is up. Pulled back the curtains at 6.30am to enjoy sunrise, we are at the lovely turning point in the year when the days and nights are of roughly equal length. Any plans to go back to bed and snooze for an hour destroyed when I see that the greenhouse is not where Management and I left it ...

Fortunately the frame was only pushed along the base rather than off it so twisting was at a minimum. Amazing how fast I can get into gardening clothes and outside. Thankfully I was able to get the frame back into position by myself - moving it an inch at a time first one side, then the next. Temporary fix with all the clamps I could lay my hands on.

Not surprisingly, a very large part of the day was taken up with bolting the frame to the base, a job that Management had scheduled for Saturday. This involved discovering our 'big' drill refused to work (changing the fuse had no effect) and having to use a large, powerful, wonderful and expensive SDS drill on loan from a damn good friend. Whilst it is definitely the 'tool for the job', there was much trepidation in case I b*ggered it up ...

Drilling accurate holes in 5" steel box section is not something I would normally tackle. Think a very nervous Hermione going up to the Sorting Hat in the first HP film. Much muttering under breath of "it's OK, you can do this"

The numbers mean when I took the picture the wind was 19.7mph but during the time the anenometer had been in place (30 minutes) the top speed recorded was 28mph. Clever little bit of kit.

8 comments:

  1. There! Clever drill-wielding Hobbit! At what point can I say 'I told you so!'

    (ducks!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why we paid a bloke to put our greenhouse up last week. Despite the fact that I spent several years working construction it was money well spent watching some other mug do all the hard work. You will forget all of this hassle next week when you are standing inside and its 29 degrees centigrade and every cat in the neighbourhood is banging on the glass trying get in (as I was this morning in Co Durham).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bl**dy hell that was lucky.

    Sorry can't see you as Hermoine or Management as Ron Weasley. Nope you were definetely demonstrating hobbit-like determination there. Frodo crawling up the Mountain of Doom comes to mind

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously early exposure to stage management skills paid off!!! Sounds like an interesting fit up to me. Well done! Sarum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pheww. That was a lucky escape indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps my mentioning of SDS drills was a portent. Next time I'll keep my mouth firmly closed!

    Glad that nothing untoward happened. If it can be moved in its current state, just think what the stresses will be when it's full of glass and presenting a much increased surface area to the wind - make sure you use plenty of bolts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We, too, paid a bloke to do it. £80 well spent - as we were both at work at the time. I came home, made him a brew and spent the evening feeling smug!

    Well done you. A lesser hobbit would have had a cry and a tantrum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks all. If assembly had been an option we'd have paid for it. Remember we are on a blank bit of the map where most cartographers write "there be dragons" and greenhouse-assembly-experts are thin on the ground!

    James - now you know why I was sounding a tad stressed when we spoke.

    Don't know about Mountain of Doom, but I keep saying never under-estimate a determined Hobbit.

    (PS: Hazel - any time you like :} )

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}