Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Vegetable beds - more than half way!

Another surprisingly mild day, so back outside to move the now very well-rotted cow manure. Every time I make arrangements for someone to come and help the weather throws a complete wobbly. Perhaps the answer is for me to do little and often when conditions allow.

Started with 4th bed, partly filled last year and covered over

and a surprisingly short amount of time later ended with this

which has been covered back over again. It needs a bit of digging over to mix the soil and manure and is bound to settle lots and need topping up again. That means 4 out of 8 beds are just about finished.

Discovered I am even more unfit than I thought, or else the slope up from the driveway has got steeper during the winter. Also did a lot of clearing up of all the pots and stuff that had been abandoned on the driveway and it looks much smarter. If I could just get the rest of the manure shifted we might be able to park exactly where we want for the first time in 8 months ...

10 comments:

  1. That 'black stuff' looks (almost!) good enough to eat. It will really pay dividends (except for carrots!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true Flum, unless I want to enter the "weird and twisted shaped carrot" competition in which case I am almost guaranteed a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From SewAli via Bilbo:

    ... cannot see the comment box anymore. I can read other people's comments, so it's obviously just me that has the problem, but it's very bizarre. Like James we haven't even seen a snowdrop here, much less daffodils. Well done you for getting out in the garden


    Will someone tell the Techno Elves to leave Bag End alone and go off and mess with someone else's code.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so why aren't there soil and manure stains on the woodwork, and blobbed all around the lawn then?

    The beds are looking fab - I wouldn't worry too much about settling, you've got to dib around a bit and hoe a bit and if the beds are 'heaped', you'll chuck soil everywhere. Actually, perhaps you won't, but I certainly would!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - perhaps SewAli has inadvertently raised her security settings? I have exactly the same 'no box to type in' problem as she has, but only on the PC, and that's what I've put it down to, because I have no problems on the other work machine, or the lappy.

    Although maybe it's the doing of the 'work fairy' stopping me blogging & commenting in office hours! {gg}

    ReplyDelete
  6. so why aren't there soil and manure stains on the woodwork, and blobbed all around the lawn then

    That would be all the stuff I brushed up before I took the photo .....

    I've only covered the beds with black weed suppressing membrane that lets water through and right now there is gallons of the stuff falling from the sky. Reckon ~that~ will settle the soil pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "That would be all the stuff I brushed up before I took the photo ....."

    Whaaat? You mean I'm supposed to do housework in the garden too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mean I'm supposed to do housework in the garden too

    It doesn't count when you're outside

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't count? Doesn't HAPPEN! Not here anyway. Life's too short to sweep a lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Err, in my defense ladies, I ~had~ to pick up the couple of large clods of manure which would have killed the grass underneath and become slippery.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}