Monday, 4 January 2010

Tree Stump Removal: day one

Well, it may not have been how I intended to spend the day but it was probably far more productive. I had planned to deal with email, house paperwork, dust and polish once the decorations were down and so on, all essential stuff but none of it more important than keeping our workers constantly supplied with hot drinks, playing with Merlin and generally just "being around" to confirm such things as it did not matter if the escallonia hedging was collateral damage!






I am not sure the accolade of having some of the largest stumps John and his crew have ever removed is one I am proud of, but it certainly explains why a couple of them took so long to excavate. Those of you who've been here know that the Leylandii were planted way, way too close to the wall at the front and John spent a lot of time and took huge care not to apply any leverage that would have put pressure on the inside of the wall. It's early days but on first inspection it does look as if the wall will survive all this upheaval.

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure that you've said, but my pea-brain can't remember - you'll have to beef up that front hedge by the wall with something, once the stumps are cleared, what are you planning to plant?

    I'm guessing at hawthorn and hazel as hedging rather than beech?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hazel, you do not have a pea-brain and you probably cannot remember because we keep changing our minds.

    Latest intention (which has been stable for some months now) is beech around the front/corner moving to mixed native as we go up the boundary towards the coppice. You know how terminal it is to use the word "plan" on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the same wall where you planted 100's of bulbs last autumn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not quite Angela. If you face the house from the road the "bulb wall" is on the right of the entrance and this wall is on the left going up round the corner towards the church. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief, what a lot of activity so soon into the New Year. Definitely a good excuse to delay the housework! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should know by now Les, never a dull moment at Bag End!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm, in these temperatures I think I'd rather be doing housework - and that's not something you'll often hear me saying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't realised you were planning to take the stumps out, is it just the ones at the front, or are you going to remove them all? You'll need a fair amount of new soil to fill the resulting craters in!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strewth QuiltSue, are you alright? {giggle} If you feel a need to do housework you're very welcome here.

    SewAli, it is just the stumps on the front corner, those next to the wall. Stumps which are against the wooden fence will stay, have hedge planted over/around them and eventually rot - instant wildlife habitat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, whatever you do, it's got to be better! I love the idea of native hedging as I'm sure your local wildlife will too.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}