Friday, 20 November 2009

The Morning After

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has phoned, sent a text or emailed to make sure we are OK. Everything at Bag End is fine - a bit of water down the chimney and a wet garage are NOTHING compared to what Cockermouth has to deal with. The whole village was without internet access for most of the day but amazingly we had electricity, a landline, and milk delivered fresh this morning to the village shop.

We sat up until past midnight yesterday watching the TV coverage with complete disbelief - this is our town, we know many of these people - I'd walked down that street on Tuesday, it's where we ate that night with SewAli, and now it is all destroyed. We could see and hear the rescue Sea King helicopters from the house and went to bed feeling completely helpless. It's horrific to watch television and see people we know, places we regularly visit, many tears during the day. This morning Management and I walked down to the river along with many of our neighbours - this is the mess and I am sure there will be more.


We're now nearly cut off because there are fears for the safety of the bridge into our village - it was closed to vehicles early this morning and completely shut off this afternoon. Being marooned is nothing compared to what people in the town will have to deal with in the coming months.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive photos - shows the power of the river in full spate.

    I hope you are keeping safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how you were doing. Mother Nature can be hard to deal with. Cool photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're safe, and now have internet contact again. So sorry, and sad, for all those whose lives have been totally ruined by the flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too have been watching on the TV, it's always shocking to get a reminder of the power of mother nature. I heard via Sue that you were doing OK yesterday, but we have been thinking of you and all the others in Cockermouth and the other towns affected by the flooding. It's going to take a heck of a long time to clear it all up. Take care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}