Monday, 2 November 2009

Digital Photography: Blessing or Curse? Discuss.

I've always loved photography starting with a Kodak Brownie when I was less then 10 years old and black & white pictures were the norm. Digital photography opens up so many possibilities, not least the freedom to shoot multiple images without worrying about developing & printing costs, and being able to view them almost immediately. Although I dislike the practise of using software to create a picture that was never actually in front of the lens, I would not want to be without Photoshop Elements to tweak the light levels, crop my pictures, and do a little non-invasive tidying-up. Digital Photography is a blessing.

And then there are those multiple images that one is free to shoot. Hard disks full of picture after picture that you never do anything with. In my case, a huge folder called, unoriginally "New Pictures" into which I empty card after card of recently taken photos. Which all need to be looked at, possibly cropped and tweaked for publication, originals saved carefully in case I want the unedited image one day in the far off future. Which all takes time - why is it so much easier to take the dratted pictures than subsequently deal with them? Digital Photography is a curse!

I've just had a close look at that "New Pictures" folder. To its credit, it does contain lots of sub-folders, there is not complete anarchy. What there is, however, are over 1,400 pictures that I want to do something with. Maybe delete them, maybe move to a more permanent home in my storage structure, maybe put them on the blog. Some of them were taken a good few weeks/months ago - there are going to be quite a lot of unseasonal images appearing at Bag End over the coming weeks as I make inroads into the backlog.

It make sense (to me) to start with some of the older images. These were taken on 21st June, wonder if they were "before kittens" or" after"? Definitely some nursing nipples.





11 comments:

  1. Very cute, we'll look forward to the coming picture-fest! I made a "rule" when I started the blog, I don't fiddle with the pictures at all (or very rarely), because I know they would never make it online otherwise. I try to update the blog as soon as possible once the photos have been taken, and the rest gets archived to a disk, probably never to be looked at again, but I know that there are always backups if the blog has a disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... should have finished my comment with Blessing every time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm firmly in the 'blessings' category - partly on the cost consideration of developing/printing, but mostly because of the convenience of being able to take a dozen pics to capture the one you really want is fabulous - as long as you get rid of the rest!

    I'm no where near perfect in this respect, but the for what it's worth, I try to download pics off the camera/phone as soon as I'm back at the pc, and change the file name straight away - there's nothing like having the 68th photo called 'day out in Worcester Jun09' to focus the mind to cull a few!

    ReplyDelete
  4. definite blessing but a pain in the bum! I've got a zillion draft posts for pictures and stories from months ago so shall be writing unseasonably too. Blogging was supposed to clear out my old computer but it's slower than ever! I've been trying to upload them to Flickr for archiving but haven't quite mastered my routine - to F first, then post or post first, then F. At least they're all named which is something I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely on the "blessing" side. I love being able to see my photos straight away. I usually download them as soon as I'm back at my computer. I have this thought that if the camera goes wrong with loads of pictures on it, I'd lose them all. OK, so how come I don't think of that happening with the computer? Specially with my computer experiences lately. DUH..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a 'blessings' person too. I take multiple images and then I DO delete the unsuitable ones. I find if I don't deal with the results of a shooting session straight away I end up with a backlog on the camera.
    Your squirrel does look a bit chunky. Maybe just before?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A blessing. On average I take 100 pictures a walk which generally ends up being around 20 on a published walk. Each walk folder is dated and those shots I use are named. When I first started out I deleted the ones I didn't publish but then I found I wanted them, so now nothing gets deleted. A fact I have been grateful for more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to read all your comments on this. I am a "blessings" person too, the question was rather tongue-in-cheek.

    I re-name all the images as I download them, and the most blurry, out of focus, or those with only the squirrel's tail as it zooms out of shot get deleted immediately. It's the rest I have to process . . .

    QuiltSue - you DO backup to an external drive, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely pro digital photography. I can just remember back to when you didn't quite use up a whole roll of film on your Summer holidays and had to wait until Christmas to use up the rest and get them developed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh don't worry Bilbo. Being of a "belt-and-braces" mind when it comes to computers, I back up to a Dell thingy on-line once a week and also to our own external drive once a week on a different day! With this little trust, you really wouldn't think I come from a computer background would you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Photos are memories, I cannot delete memories from my head, so I do not delete my Photos. Maybe one or two will be blurry, over or underexposed but in the future they jog my memory and help me remember the day when I took them. It also helps me to improve my overall Photography by highlighting problem areas that I may consistantly get wrong, end result being less photos of questionable use.

    A good tip I can relay is to keyword your photos, for example the squirrel shots here I would keyword "Squirrel, Feeder, Autumn", this allows you to find photos easier later on, you might want to make a slideshow of the garden flowers for a relative or overseas friend, a quick keyword search and you have a whole bunch to use. Digital Photo frames can be used the same way, so in winter a display showing the bounty of a summer crop can be quite inspiring.

    Mr Photo

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}