Wednesday, 25 November 2009

CUMBRIA IS OPEN!

Yes we have had dreadful floods,
yes it will take a while before all the businesses in Cockermouth are up and running again

BUT, if anyone was thinking of cancelling a visit to the Lake District either in the near future or perhaps next year can I say PLEASE COME TO CUMBRIA; we are still here, we want to see our visitors and we depend upon you so very much.

It took the local economy years to recover from the Foot & Mouth debacle after the media whipped everyone into a frenzy and told them to stay away - many of us are now worried the same thing could happen again.

I drove along the A66 earlier this week and witnessed the beauty of shafts of sunlight illuminating the slopes beneath Skiddaw, the light rippling across Bass Lake, the stunning views down Newlands Valley. All the natural wonders which make this such a fabulous location are still here and the north west of the region is not devastated as some news reporters might make you think.

True, it will be a while before all the wonderful independent shops in Cockermouth are open again, but there are still hotels, B&B's and holiday cottages where you would have the warmest of welcomes.

Sorry for such a shameless plug for my adopted hometown, but there really is a worry that the media will have people believe they need to stay away for months and that is so not the case.

5 comments:

  1. Foot and mouth was the end for some small businesses. I do agree that the countryside hit by floods needs all the help it can get - and this means the tourists need to return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time you got back over here then dear Flummery, haven't seen you at Bag End since our bonfire last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. plug a away Bilbo, it's important. Sadly people remember stories of gloom better than happy tales so long after the media attention has died down people will remember what happened and allow it to deter them. Keep posting those lovely pics and doing what you do because when I think of Cumbria it's with a smile on my face and a smidge of envy that I don't have you garden's view (or even a garden!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We thought of you watching the videos of the flooding. Yes, clear over here in the states we remembered where you lived and checked the news. Glad to hear that things will be getting back to the normal beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup Lori and I watched the Cockermouth videos in horror. Hundreds of years some of those buildings have stood there and hopefully they will still be there for a few more hundreds of years. I am sure you will have tourists next summer

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}