Friday, 2 October 2009

Very good news and very bad news


The very good news is that we have two new Red Squirrel regularly feeding in the garden. They are this years young (have not got ear tufts therefore are not old enough to have developed a winter coat) and they're busy taking hazelnuts and burying them everywhere except where I want them! Easy to tell them apart, one has a much darker tail than the other.

The very bad news is that we have an unconfirmed report of Grey Squirrel less than 1 mile from the house. A neighbour has told me that someone has told him (hence the UNCONFIRMED) a grey was recently seen in a disused quarry. This is dreadful - the quarry is only half a dozen fields from Bag End and there are enough trees to act as a corridor all the way to our land and the adjacent churchyard. I think some of "our" Reds have dreys in the quarry and if the Grey Squirrel has found its way to this location then Squirrel Pox and a potentially dreadful death for our beautiful native animal is only months away. I have a web link for live traps bookmarked and ready to order should the reports become confirmed. One of our neighbours is a gamekeeper and I know he will kill any Greys caught if I find I cannot do the deed myself.


7 comments:

  1. They do look lovely.

    Hope the rumpours about the greys turn out to be untrue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Bilbo, thanks for sharing these little fellas. I've never seen a red squirrel in real life, isn't that a shame :o( I'll just enjoy them through your lens instead

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blow. Your reds are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastic pictures! Such wonderful little creatures. I just love the little tufts on the top of their ears. Shame about the greys, do you think a local wildlife society might be able to 'do something' about the grey squirrels? - I've heard they taste quite good in a pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have very active "red squirrel watch" groups in the area and if greys are confirmed here then I will not be alone in setting traps. Trouble is, we are in a BIG rural area and there's an awful lot of places grey squirrel could be. Many were culled this year in Whinlatter Forest which I can see from the house (about 7/8 miles as the crow flies) which is not very far in squirrel terms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful photos of the reds. Hope the rumours about the greys turn out to be untrue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful photos of the red squirrels. I hope you don't end up with greys.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}