Tuesday, 6 October 2009

At war

The problem with all this organic wildlife lark is that everything thrives, bluddy everything - whether you want it to or not. After moving more than a dozen mice earlier this year we've had a nice long respite from furry little intruders but now it is getting colder outside the little sods have decided to come back in. I know this because a pesky little rodent was stupid enough to try and see if a quilted placemat was edible.

Sometime between Saturday night and Monday evening, a mouse climbed up the back of the rattan unit that's in the gap where the old fridge was removed. Our supper trays (with quilted placemats) live on the top of this unit.

This is WAR. No-one and nothing eats my quilts and gets away with it. If Ollie can live with my quilts for over 13 years and never even nibble a single corner I'm damned if I am accepting it from a smelly little rodent.

Management suggests we "bite the bullet" and bring forward plans to have work done in the kitchen which involves changing all the work surfaces. This would enable us to get behind the kitchen units and seal the huge gaps between the bottom of the wall plaster and the floor. Sigh. Got to be done though - now "all" I have to do is find a decent joiner, our last one has disappeared without trace and the best plasterer we know broke his leg on Saturday night!

Interesting aside (well, interesting to me!). Had a look at the blog for this time last year and see that I had exactly the same problem with a mouse wandering into the utility room in mid-October.

10 comments:

  1. The problem with mice is that they can damn near squeeze through anything. A couple of years ago I watched one squeeze itself through the mesh on my rabbit hutch. I've just measured the gap (I know you'll only ask me otherwise) and it's 11mm.

    Expanding PU foam is great for filling up all sorts of holes and gaps (keeps the draughts out too), but I'm sure a determined small, stinky rodent will eventually gnaw its way through if it's determined enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James, I have some cans of the expanding foam. Problem is - cannot physically access most of the walls because of kitchen units, dishwasher, arms not long enough, etc. I know what small gaps the little s*ds can get through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if the kitchen has to be done anyway and you can afford it, get on with it.

    But leave no gap unfilled or they will return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like bullet biting time. Or nettle grasping? You can't block up what you can't access, but you don't feel like being rushed into work by a little rodent do you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say that getting a cat will stop the mice coming in - however my experience is that the cats bring the mice in...

    I wouldn't be rushed to bring your plans forward for the sake of a mouse - it's your house, not theirs - but I would make sure all food (inc. wildlife food) is in mouse-proof tins/cupboards, and lace humane traps with chocolate so you can catch and release.

    Bear in mind that kitchen revamps will involve a certain about of water/power turn offs & this is a more comfortable proposition in the summer months, rather than winter...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hazel, there was a period last night when I was darkly muttering "we're getting a cat, and if it's not a killer, it is going back" but I didn't mean it.

    All food is already stored safely after the last "ingress" and as for bringing plans forward - you know how long it takes us to organise anything in this place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't let the pesky little things dictate your activities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't let the pesky little things dictate your activities!
    It's OK Sue, we know what needs doing in the kitchen and maybe our rodent visitors will spur us on to having the work completed early 2010 rather than the usual Bag End "whenever" (and it would be SO nice to have a cooker that works, so I don't really mind!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. mousy munchings, not nice! I did smile when you spotted a similar post to last year. It's funny how the time goes and jobs remain undone. Is it really five years that we've been without a skirting board in the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband's grandma covers holes up with chicken wire which seems to be quite effective. We're lucky to have never had a mouse problem but I'm guessing with the number of cats we have had over the years has help kept the mice out even before they got near the house.

    ReplyDelete

So there I am, chuntering on to myself, but it would be lovely to hear from you. Thanks to all who take the time to comment - it makes my day :)

and I always delete spam - my blog, my rules :-}